Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using Dillon RT1200B trimmer and RCBS X-Die ?

StealthyBlagga

I want to load .223 for use in my AR15. I plan to trim brass using a Dillon RT1200B trimmer mounted on my XL-650 press. The trimmer mounts onto a Dillon .223 Rapid Trim size die, and the standard instructions for the trimmer encourage the use of this die to size the case also (i.e. size and trim in one operation). I understand how this setup will size and trim in preparation for the first loading. However, after first loading is done and the ammo has been shot, I am hoping to resize for subsequent reloads using an RCBS X-Die (i.e. no further trimming required).

QUESTION: Do I need to do the first sizing with the X-Die also (i.e. placed before the trimmer), or can I do the sizing and trimming in one operation using the Dillon size die/trimmer combo, and reserve the X-Die for sizing on subsequent reloadings only ? I hope to have two toolheads permanently set up; one for sizing and trimming of once-fired brass (Dillon size die/trimmer combo), and another for brass that has been trimmed, reloaded and shot once more (RCBS X-Die) allowing me to reload in one pass like with pistol ammo... is this sensible ? Lastly, if I do this, does anybody have any wisdom to share about how to adjust both size dies to get the same shoulder setback ?

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I always do “two pass” loading but I am never sure if all of the brass I pick up is mine or not. I also load using 3 size/deprime dies in addition to the size/trim die the additional passes through the size die and the expanders ensure all of the cases are ironed out and bur free. This keeps me from having to do any additional case prep too.

I size/deprime on station #1 of a 650, trim on station #3 and run through another size/deprime die in #5. Then they go into the 1050 hopper and get the full run through. As for set up you set each die just as you would any die, with a case gauge. All the trimmer “size” part has to do is keep the case from spinning.

I do the 2 tool head thing.

I've got one setup with a universal de-priming die and the dillon trim die that I use for 1st and only trimming

the 2nd tool head is setup with the x-die, dillon powder die and seater.

and after the 1st trimming, I just lube the cases and load like a pistol round. you need to mark your brass so you don't get it mixed up with brass that have not been trimmed short for the x-die.

also I never thought about trying to get the same shoulder set-back from both dies, I just case gauge the re-sized cases, load and shoot. I guess if there is a slight variation between the dies, the brass will be fire formed when you shoot it.

Basically, you can get by with just one toolhead. Run all your brass through the toolhead with the Dillon trimmer/sizing die, all of it in one sitting.

Then you can take the Dillon trimmer/sizing die out of that toolhead. Then put a universal decapping die in the first station, then the proprietary Dillon powder through die, then the powder check die (I mean if the powder isn't all that high where you can't see it), then the bullet seating die, and then possibly a crimp die.

Then load up all your ammo.

Then mark it with a laundry marker.

Shoot all that stuff up.

Tumble clean the brass.

Spray lube it.

Then replace the universal decapping die with the X die in station #1 of your one toolhead.

Then make sure the mandrel is screwed down in the X-die.

Then load up your ammo like normal.

Hornady makes a tool under their Lock and Load line that is just a "jig" that clamps onto the "jaws" of your digital calipers. Use that to measure the shoulder bump back.

Anywhooo...yeah, you can do all that with just one toolhead if you run everything through in a batch process first.

That could then free up a spare toolhead for another (pistol?) caliber.

Edited by Chills1994