Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli SBE aceptable 3 gun?

ksshooter223

I have been contemplating a FN SP1 for 3 gun, however I am not going to be able to afford it this season. I already have a Benelli SBE that I use for hunting and I am wondering what the chances of converting this to an acceptable 3 gun would be. It has a 26" barrel so this may be the biggest hinderance? I will not buy another barrel since this will just up a lot of the cost of getting into a gun to use for a season. Is this too long? I know by the rules my overall length would be acceptable. My thoughts were for a extended tube by Nordic and a Nordic bolt handle outside of that I don't have a clue what else I could get to make this run for three gun. I would like to find a pistol grip stock and shell holders for starters..

Just a newbe looking for some advice. I greatly appreciate it. I am in a position of using this gun with under a couple hundred bucks in upgrades to get by this year or completely setting out which I don't want to do (if I wait on the funds for a FN). Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums! :)

I wouldn't worry too much if you're just starting out about spending a whole ton of money, your SBE with just the Nordic extension and clamp will be awesome to start with. Go to a few matches, watch what other competitors are using, alot of them will probably be more than happy to let you shoot their guns as well if you ask.

:cheers:

I run a +8 tube on my 21" barrel which makes it as long or slightly longer than your 26" barrel so you don't have to worry about that in my opinion.

I was told the SBE aren't preferred over the M2 because of their ability to run 3 1/2" shell which can make them more likely to have cycling problems with lighter rounds.

I have been contemplating a FN SP1 for 3 gun, however I am not going to be able to afford it this season. I already have a Benelli SBE that I use for hunting and I am wondering what the chances of converting this to an acceptable 3 gun would be. It has a 26" barrel so this may be the biggest hinderance? I will not buy another barrel since this will just up a lot of the cost of getting into a gun to use for a season. Is this too long? I know by the rules my overall length would be acceptable. My thoughts were for a extended tube by Nordic and a Nordic bolt handle outside of that I don't have a clue what else I could get to make this run for three gun. I would like to find a pistol grip stock and shell holders for starters..

Just a newbe looking for some advice. I greatly appreciate it. I am in a position of using this gun with under a couple hundred bucks in upgrades to get by this year or completely setting out which I don't want to do (if I wait on the funds for a FN). Thanks in advance!

I have shot my 30" SBE in two matches with the nordic tube and clamp and it is going well. My SBE does not like the reduced recoil slugs and I also must shoot the heavy target loads for reliability. Last week our shotgun stage was 43 shots and being able to shoot lighter loads would be nice. That being said my shooting is good but my reloading needs big improvement!

Go have fun!!!

I've been running my old HK SBE for an occasional multi gun match (I just added the Nordic extension). Field loads (3 DE, 1 1/8 oz) and Remington Low Recoil slugs (1 oz, 1200 fps) work just fine. Of course the gun was already well broken in from its share of 3” and 3.5” shells

Edited by GunCat

The gun will work for a match, but when you start practicing a lot, you will figure out what you want in a dedicated 3 gun, which could double as a hunting gun with the right chokes. I have a Benelli with a pistol grip because I like it-and I load with my left hand. If you get a Nordic tube you will be able to sell it later when you trade your gun in. It's a worthwhile buy. When you get to the shooting or practicing with some friends-ask them to show you how they load. I started out loading a Remington 1100 Tac4 with my right hand, turning the gun up with my left and or resting it on my right shoulder. I now load left handed because my hands just like it better and it works better for me. Pick the one that fits you best-you will find really good shotgunners doing it either way. 4 shell shot holders work the best-if you can grab 4 at a time. They also work better for movement. You will need 4-5 once in blue moon 6 holders. You could probably put 1 or 2 6 shell holders at the side of your belt-try bending over-if they are in the way slide them more to the side. If you are going to run a shotgun with a pistol grip-it takes some tweaking and working at it-even really good shooters often can not run their Benelli's with a pistol grip. I like it. Bit of a learning curve. Once you get it-it is way fun. Keeping the gun running for a stage and for a match is some work. If you are just going to shoot a match now and then with not a lot of practice-not so hard.