Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwell Alternatives

diablodawg

Any good places to get a 92FS magazine well from? I found one a while ago, but I believe it was weld on- a no go for a service gun. Has anyone seen one that goes on easy and still allows for a laynard loop? Perhaps screwed on underneath the grip screws... It is going on an issued weapon, so no permanent modifications are allowed.

Talk to PB92. Not sure if that is the one he is running or not. But he does have an active thread going in the open gun section about his open class 92 that he is building. He will have the answers if anyone does.

yep I had one on my 92 ESP gun for awhile

it took a little fiddling to get it to fit up right but once it did, it fit very well

I seem to remember having to fit and refit it in it's manufactured groove but it did work well

If you "just want" a magwell, this might be the only option, and it does work, but I dont think it makes a huge difference, it is pimpy

My advice would be to just learn to reload your Beretta without one (I run a 92FS and an 92G Elite these days and neither one has a magwell). Ben Stoeger told me he had one on his 40 limited gun and he wasnt sure it helped any either.

BTW in USPSA production you can legally bevel the inside of your magwell up to a certain point, read the last front sight issue about the USPSA SIG226 they reviewed

As I read the IDPA rules, if you deliberatley bevel your magwell on your model 92 it makes it an ESP gun

The Elite model 92/96 comes with a slightly beveled magwell and is a legal SSP pistol, though in my experience the beveling is not enough to even matter

again, reload practice is the ticket here

yes you would have to replace the lanyard ring mainspring cap with a non lanyard ring version.

I think Brownells, David Olhasso, and EGW all sell these

No there are no permanent alterations necessary but removing and reinstallation of the magwell on a regular basis would definitley be a no go, a big pain ion the fanny

• 4 months later...

The magwell you seek can be aquired from David Olhasso. He is the guy who designed the well, and had EGW make it. You will need to replace your hammer spring cap with the one that comes with the magwell. Be advised that the magwell was designed and spec'd out for the Vertec with its verticle grip profile. If you want to put the well on a 92FS, the guns frame well will need to be taken down to match the magwell's profile, otherwise you will have a "lip" between the well and the frames well opening.

I installed the Olhasso/EGW well on my standard grip 92 and I did not have to modify my pistol. I did vey slightly part of the well. With the magwell screw screwed tigtly enough it did match uo

If you practice reloading the 92 enough (daily) you dont need an add on

I meant you have to file on the magwell a little, you can tell where its needed when you intitially toghten the well up

Exactly, on the Vertec you dont have to file the frames well opening. Its very little but some may not want to take the "file to it".........