Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Water Treatment Experts?

I have a well with a kinetico treatment system. It has been determined that I have corrosive water with the copper pipes in my house. The water was tested from the well and after treatment. The treated water is more corrosive than the Raw water.

I have had kinetico out and I think they will sell me anything to make a buck with no solutions.

Can anyone help me determine a better system to bring the values of the water test into alignment to remedy the problem?

Treated:

Hyd Sulfide pH 5.74

Magnesium Alkalinity 133.0

Manganesse diss. solids 669.0

Potassium Langlier indx -3.853

(perhaps softener taking out too much calcium to buffer pH?)

Raw:

Hyd Sulfide pH 6.62

Magnesium Alkalinity 115.0

Manganesse diss. solids 721.0

Potassium Langlier indx -1.279

Edited by Putty

As much as the guys in the trade are out to make a buck, they also need repeat business to stay afloat. I'd take a look around and find the oldest water treatment company in the area, and see what they recommend and why.

Your raw water was very nearly PH neutral. What type of system is this kinetico?

The only system I've ever used is the norm for my area. A resin based ion exchange tank, recharged by backwashing it with brine.

I have a Whirlpool water softener I bought from Lowe's. My water was pretty alkaline, very hard, and had lots of dissolved iron in it (would turn the shower and toilets red after just a week. Now, with the little $450 Whirlpool softener, when I fill my hot tub, I take a sample down to the hot tub place, they test it to see what I need to add, and the water is 100% clean, with a touch of sodium. So clean in fact, I have to dirty it up before I can use it in my hot tub by adding the calcium back to it.

Putty,

I'm an industrial water chemist that helps design systems like these for industrial customers. We don't sell residential units, but feel free to PM me and I'll walk you through the process so that you get what you need. If you have any more info on the water analysis, that would be a big help.

Sincerely,

Chuck

I have a well with a kinetico treatment system. It has been determined that I have corrosive water with the copper pipes in my house. The water was tested from the well and after treatment. The treated water is more corrosive than the Raw water.

I have had kinetico out and I think they will sell me anything to make a buck with no solutions.

Can anyone help me determine a better system to bring the values of the water test into alignment to remedy the problem?

Treated:

Hyd Sulfide pH 5.74

Magnesium Alkalinity 133.0

Manganesse diss. solids 669.0

Potassium Langlier indx -3.853

(perhaps softener taking out too much calcium to buffer pH?)

Raw:

Hyd Sulfide pH 6.62

Magnesium Alkalinity 115.0

Manganesse diss. solids 721.0

Potassium Langlier indx -1.279