Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Check your sights, stupid...

JeffWard

After a 2-3 week lay-off renovating my new condo, I finally got out to a match last night, our regular 5-stage Tuesday match. I was expecting to be a bit rusty after the lay-off, so I wasn't really surprised when I shot sloppy with 2 Mikes on the first stage.

Second stage was worse... Third, just as bad...

Fourth stage I emptied my first mag on a small popper at about 8 yards... before I realized my rear sight was damn near falling off the right side of my slide, it was so loose!!!!

Stage finishes (4 stages) BEFORE the sight got re-centered and tightened? 35th, 34th, 31st, 43rd!!!! (I normally shoot top-10 over-all of 30+ shooters.)

Stage finishes after re-centering and tightening down the set screw on my M&P? 8th!!!

I knew I was rusty coming back.... I didn't think I was 20+ places rusty!!!!

Moral of the story??? Give your sights a little wiggle at the safe table before you holster-up!

JeffWard

I had a similar situation at a match, only it was the front sight and it went airborne after firing fruitlessly at a popper that wouldn't fall. I ended up epoxying that sumbitch. Sorry to hear about the rough match :(

Edited by Dan O

Still shooting the M&P right? I thought you would have loctited it by now with all the problems others have had. ;)

Never had to move it until a few weeks back, when I finally fixed my "bit to the right" problem, as my POI was about 2" right at 25-yards. I loosened it up, pushed it, and locked it down (I thought). Two matches later (Tuesday) it was loose again!

Yup... It's got the locktite now!

Jeff