Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super & win 231

RussB

back in the day, that how so many people got 'super face' a nasy combination of copious amounts of 231(trying to make 175PF) non-fully supported chambers, lead to casehead failures in a big way, prompted most of us to buy into pachmyrs(sp) steel lined grips after picking splinters out of our hands more than once

I stayed away from 231, choosing instead to use AA#7 for a time and the win 540, before turning to what i use now VV 3n37 which ofr me and my set-up is the cleanest burning and softest shooting combo ive run across YMMV

I have an eight-pounder of 231. Anyone have some pet 38 Super loads utilizing 231? :)

Don't try to make Major with it. Just because you have a particular powder on hand doesn't mean that it's safe or appropriate for a given use. It might be OK for loads up to ~140 power factor with certain bullet weights.

"The stingy man pays the most."

Pry open your wallet and buy a more approprate powder. Save the W231 for other calibers.

Don't try to make Major with it. Just because you have a particular powder on hand doesn't mean that it's safe or appropriate for a given use. It might be OK for loads up to ~140 power factor with certain bullet weights.

"The stingy man pays the most."

Pry open your wallet and buy a more approprate powder. Save the W231 for other calibers.

Thanks for the reply. I shoot steel plates at the local level. I don't need to make major power factor, as I don't shoot IPSC or USPSA matches.

• 2 weeks later...

I had been using 5 grains of 23i under a Berry's plated 130 grain bullet in both my single-stack and 627 revolver for shooting steel.

I tried 5.4 grs and 5.7 grs, and accuracy suffered to the point that keeping 10 shots @ 50' on a silhouette target was a chore! Never seen nothin' like it. It appears the plated bullets just don't like to get pushed very fast?

As jmaass recommended I'll be trying out a more suitable powerder for some crankin' 38 Super loads. Rekon I'll try #7 first

I had been using 5 grains of 23i under a Berry's plated 130 grain bullet in both my single-stack and 627 revolver for shooting steel.

I tried 5.4 grs and 5.7 grs, and accuracy suffered to the point that keeping 10 shots @ 50' on a silhouette target was a chore! Never seen nothin' like it. It appears the plated bullets just don't like to get pushed very fast?

As jmaass recommended I'll be trying out a more suitable powerder for some crankin' 38 Super loads. Rekon I'll try #7 first

Being careful, some folks get decent results with plated bullets. In general, I think they're :sick: and no, they don't normally like being pushed fast.

AA#7 is good for Major in Super, but can be a little dirty (I've used many, many pounds of it over the years). If you want to be able to load up some hotter ammo with a slower powder that will keep the pressure reasonable, 4756 would also be a good one to look at. 7625 is also a popular choice, but it can be a touch too fast for some Open guns. For a non-compensated gun that you're not trying to push to 170+PF, it would be worth trying. N340, N350, and 3N37 would be good choices, but the price jump turns off some folks, and their slower powders, 3N38 and N105, are probably slower than what you want. R,

I have an eight-pounder of 231. Anyone have some pet 38 Super loads utilizing 231? :)

Russ,

I'll attach a page from the W-W 14th Edition reloading manual.

Tony

Edited by TonyT

back in the day, that how so many people got 'super face' a nasy combination of copious amounts of 231(trying to make 175PF) non-fully supported chambers, lead to casehead failures in a big way, prompted most of us to buy into pachmyrs(sp) steel lined grips after picking splinters out of our hands more than once

I stayed away from 231, choosing instead to use AA#7 for a time and the win 540, before turning to what i use now VV 3n37 which ofr me and my set-up is the cleanest burning and softest shooting combo ive run across YMMV

As well stated above, this is history that need not be repeated for .38 super, other than minor steel loads, sell that 231 to a .45 shooter and go with more modern powders, IMHO..........

As well stated above, this is history that need not be repeated for .38 super, other than minor steel loads, sell that 231 to a .45 shooter and go with more modern powders, IMHO..........

I have purchased some IMR 4756 to try with some 124 jacketed RN's. I've loaded a few with 8 grains, loaded to 1.27"