Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MP-5 loading for?

Baer45

I finally got my first sub gun in 9 mm. and need to develop a load for it. As I will be shooting with a can most of the time I will need to shoot plated (cheapest) bullets. Does anyone have any load ammo they have run through their MP-5 that might help me? Idealy would be one load with Laser Cast 9lead) and another with a plated bullet....I guess I could use any of my pistol loads but don't know about feeding issues, etc.

I played with search for 15 minutes without succes so if there is already a post that you can reffer me to that would be great too. This topic has to have come up before- Thanks

I wouldn't put any lead bullets through it at all....MP-5s tend to run quite dirty and I can only imagine how bad they'd be with lead. I spent an hour and a half cleaning one that had several hundred rounds of factory FMJ run through it...don't even want to think of how bad that would have been with lead.

I would also skip plated as I'd be concerned about plating material coming off and plugging the can. Precision Delta FMJ's are cheaper than all of the plated bullets I've seen lately.

I'd look at a standard 124/125gr FMJ, and run them at 1100fps or so and see what happens. R,

231/HP-38?....I thought the Laser Cast might work well because they are hard and then I would switch to FMJ with can. Any idea who sells the cheapest fmj in bulk? Got to be something cheaper then MG, Precision Delta,etc. I've never looked but does Remington or Winchester or Federal (American Eagle) sell their fmj bullets in bulk cheaper?

231/HP-38?....I thought the Laser Cast might work well because they are hard and then I would switch to FMJ with can. Any idea who sells the cheapest fmj in bulk? Got to be something cheaper then MG, Precision Delta,etc. I've never looked but does Remington or Winchester or Federal (American Eagle) sell their fmj bullets in bulk cheaper?

If any cast bullets would work (short of your own that you cast and heat treat) without tons of fouling I'd guess Laser Cast would be among the best. What I've seen from cleaning lots of MP-5s is that they blow a lot of powder and lube fouling into the top where the recoil spring and cocking lever ride and it accumulates above and around the chamber. It might be worth a try, but I think it'd get pretty gunked up. Now I just tear them down and spray a boatload of gun scrubber in them and let it drain out...nasty!

The cheapest bulk FMJ I know of are Precision Delta....$72/K shipped (minimum 2K). If you order 6K they drop another $2/K and if you go 10K they drop $4/K. $68/K would be tough to beat anywhere. Rem and Win bullets (haven't seen Federal) in bulk have always been significantly more expensive whenever I've checked.

Edit to add: If you went with a 115gr FMJ you could go with Montana Gold at $290/4K ($72/K). That would save you the wait that PD seems to be experiencing now, and I'd imagine the gun would still run fine if you keep the load reasonable.

Edited by G-ManBart

I've just started reloading for mine so I've only run a few hundred rounds through it but I am using 124grFMJ MG with a mid range Power Pistol load from the Sierra manual at their listed OAL (I can check the numbers tomorrow). I didn't want to use Titegroup because it gets the gun so hot, and PP was the only other suitable powder I had on hand. It works fine but with a suppressor you'll want to go with a heavier bullet - there isn't much point in using one with a supersonic load. Particularly in a small practical bay with berms all around - there is a heck of a loud crack from the bullet.

PD has a 147gr FMJ for not too much more than 124s but with MG the only choice is the 147CMJ which is about $101/K. I'm probably going to try the MG because I'm thinking that without the exposed lead base it will be cleaner. I don't want to spend more than necessary but I don't think that ammo for a suppressed full auto is the place to pinch pennies. Seems like too many potential problems for the savings.

This is some good input. I don't see why you are getting sonic cracks? With ammo at 1100 fps it is subsonic by the time it goes out the end of barrel. I guess I will find out. I had not thought of using 147's in a SG. What powder are you using? I'm sold on Montanna Gold so that is where they will come from. Appreciate the comments about cleaning. I have not shot enough through it to experience that end of things yet. Also the point about TG is a good one. I couldn't imagine how hot that would get the barrrel!! Thanks for he help here...

Sorry...I just saw the Power Pistol. What is the reason to go to 147's?

Because it is what all the cool guys run with their suppressors. :)

Actually, it is so you can run medium to full power loads and stay subsonic. With the lighter bullets you will have to load them on the slow side and if you have accuracy or functioning problems you have nowhere to go. With the 147s you have the full range of reloading manual loads to use as necessary, without straying into the noisy zone.

I use Berry's 147's and 3.3-3.4 grains of titegroup @ 1.160". It runs fine in all of the sub guns I have shot it out of with the exception of the MP5SD the ported barrel makes it a no go. If your MP5 is not the SD you are good to go with the above load.

I use Berry's 147's and 3.3-3.4 grains of titegroup @ 1.160". It runs fine in all of the sub guns I have shot it out of with the exception of the MP5SD the ported barrel makes it a no go. If your MP5 is not the SD you are good to go with the above load.

Were you getting plating material plugging up the SD barrel/port/can? That was what I thought might happen with a normal can...even if it doesn't hurt anything, it could be a pain to clean. R,

Were you getting plating material plugging up the SD barrel/port/can? That was what I thought might happen with a normal can...even if it doesn't hurt anything, it could be a pain to clean. R,

No the load would not cycle the action of the ported SD, again fine in a non ported MP5. I use the same load in my suppressed ar's and suppressed M10 without any problems. Both suppressors have a steel blast baffle and aluminum K's but even full auto with the plated works just fine without jacking up the suppressor. But I did build them so they can be taken apart.

I have loaded a lot of Subsonic 9mm for my Subguns (10's of K). Your best bet is a 147 grn bullet....I like round nose plated or FMJ. Lead bullets are a no no in a suppressor unless you can disassemble it for cleaning. As far as powder goes my guns run best with a medium burn rate powder...the favorite being Vit N340 set at 4.4 grns with a overall length of 1.14". Depending on your conversion the MP5 can be one temperamental Subgun...clean burning powder and decent reloading components are a must unless you enjoy malfunction drills.