Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tighten Those Screws!!!!

dajarrel

Hey folks,

Yesterday during our monthly match, on the first stage, we are shooting a field course mixing paper and steel. All is going well. I'm working across thinking to myself, " Reloads are working well, I'm hitting targets." Obviously that was my first problem, I started thinking instead of doing.... but, I digress..

I have shot down to where (due to misses) I have only one target left when I ran out. (I didn't mention that we are on our knees under a table) I performed a flawless Jerry M. reload, closed the cylinder... closed the cylinder... tried again to close the cylinder..... And I noticed that my crane screw had backed out, allowing the crane to slip forward just enought to keep it from closing.

I guess I should be happy it didn't just fall out on the ground. The other revolver shooter said "Gee, I hate it when that happens" :rolleyes: as he laughed out loud (going to check his crane screw. :D It's a hard bunch of buddies I shoot with)

My lesson learned. Check the screws every match, even if you did loctite them!!!

Even with this stellar mess-up, I still beat my buddy. Even if it was by less than two stage points!!!!

FWIW

dj

I have also had this happen in casual shooting. I never loctite my wheel guns. I just tighten it by hand before loading and holstering them. No revolver should spin loose in one stage of a match. Unless the stage is a high round count stage! I have fired mine up to 80 times without a need to turn it tight. After the 80 rounds it took one full turn to get it back finger tight. Just remember to tighten it after a stage when you make it safe, then again when you ready it for the next. It has become a habit for me and I find myself doing it without thinking.

It is very frustrating when it does happen though!

Dave in Idaho

I just remembered something. I DO locktite my guns, because I noticed that, when the screw backs out more than 1 turn, it affects the triggerpull. Don't ask me why, but the trigger becomes inconsistent and somewhat gritty. YMMV.

Never had a problem with any other screws, but the strain screw in my 610 backed out enough in yesterday's match to give a couple of light hit misfires. Of course the RO was kind enough not to mention the obvious flinch reaction until after I did.

scotty,

Once I figured out where my strain screw would give 100% good hits, I painted it with locktite (blue) and haven't had a problem since then. Jerry M. , in his trigger job video, recommends figuring out how much you have it backed out and then grinding that amount off the end of it so you can actually seat the screw on that big shoulder provided. I've been scared to grind it off. I guess I need to order a couple of screws and experiment with it.

FWIW

dj

dj,

Thanks, I agree completely. I'm still playing with the tuning on this gun, so I hesitate to lock anything down quite yet. I just ordered an extra strain screw in case I screw up the original beyond repair. I just need to keep a closer eye on it.