Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shots landing low

predator28

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner to pistols & revolvers & greatly appreciate your comments / tips.

My groupings are spread out vertically & seem to get lower with each shot.

Shots typically, even first shots, impact slightly below my aimpoint.

It's funny, because, doesn't matter what i use, Colt 1911, Glock 17, CZ 75, Tangfolio.

Many Thanks

It's pretty much a lock that you're anticipating the recoil and pushing the gun forward as you press the trigger. The only way for the bullets to hit low is for the gun to be pointing low when it goes off. The less likely scenario is that you're simply lining up the sights wrong and the top of the rear sight isn't level with the top of the front sight....but most folks seem to be able to manage that pretty well. Get a couple dummy rounds and have someone put one or two in a magazine randomly (don't look!). When you hit a dummy round you're going to see yourself push the gun down, but it won't go bang....that's what hides it. Once you see what you're doing it's easier to fix. You want to be able to watch the front sight lift off the target (more specifically, the aiming point on the target). R,

Likely what I call "prairie-dogging". (a search for some variation of that term should bring up some results for those having similar issues)

It is a lack of follow-though, as you desire to see where you hit. You head comes up and the gun drops down.

The trick is to give yourself a new priority. Desire to see the front sight in a razor sharp focus, then desire to see the front sight as it lifts out of the notch in recoil.

Hi, could be a combination of both recoil anticipation & "prarie dogging".

I do notice that my groupings are better if I do a firm grip instead of a hard "death" grip on the gun.

I'll try to watch how the front sight recoils, instead of wishful wishing to reduce the recoil (by gripping harder).

Thanks

As a suggestion what you can try is to hold a neutral grip on the gun (equal pressure) with both hands. This will allow the gun to recoil more in a natural fashion so you are more likely to have the gun return to the same spot after your shot. Right as you are getting ready to shoot, touch the trigger, press the trigger to the rear and then hold it for a second (do not let go of the trigger). Then reset and start all over again.

If you are shooting a Glock or S&W line which has a curved trigger you might want to see where your finger is being placed on the trigger, because if too much of your finger is in you will influence the movement thus pulling the gun downward.

Likely what I call "prairie-dogging". (a search for some variation of that term should bring up some results for those having similar issues)

It is a lack of follow-though, as you desire to see where you hit. You head comes up and the gun drops down.

The trick is to give yourself a new priority. Desire to see the front sight in a razor sharp focus, then desire to see the front sight as it lifts out of the notch in recoil.

This makes a lot of sense. When I dry fire in my basement there is almost no movement of the muzzle but I'm focusing on the sights 100%. However, when I'm at the range I have a habit of focusing on the target (15+ years of shooting sporting clays) and I look at the sights when I set up the shot them I shift my focus to the target to see if I hit it....... This may not be the only bad habit I have but I bet this will get me on the right track......

I'll have to check on this the next time I'm at the range.

Dry fire practice can likely help. Just be sure to repeat on the range what you do in practice - watch those sights and follow through. A lot of times you can spot the bad habits much easier this way and work to correct them.

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner to pistols & revolvers & greatly appreciate your comments / tips.

My groupings are spread out vertically & seem to get lower with each shot.

Shots typically, even first shots, impact slightly below my aimpoint.

It's funny, because, doesn't matter what i use, Colt 1911, Glock 17, CZ 75, Tangfolio.

Many Thanks

It's pretty much a lock that you're anticipating the recoil and pushing the gun forward as you press the trigger.

I do that. :blush:

It's a bad habit I've picked up since I started competition a year ago. Never did it before, but nearly all my shooting before was slow fire.

When my targets are scored, I hear, "Alpha Charlie, Alpha Charlie, Alpha Charlie," WAY too much. And nearly all of those charlies are low and pretty well centered.

One of the many things I need to work on.

It's pretty much a lock that you're anticipating the recoil and pushing the gun forward as you press the trigger.

I do that. :blush:

It's a bad habit I've picked up since I started competition a year ago. Never did it before, but nearly all my shooting before was slow fire.

When my targets are scored, I hear, "Alpha Charlie, Alpha Charlie, Alpha Charlie," WAY too much. And nearly all of those charlies are low and pretty well centered.

One of the many things I need to work on.

Hey, we all have battles to fight! Seriously, this "problem" is why so many of the really good shooters and/or instructors (not that I'm either) harp on learning to call your shot. Once you've really, really learned to call your shots, you may anticipate and push a shot low, but you'll know it the instant it happens and be able to tell if you need to make up the shot. It's weird, but if you see a great shooter hammer off an incredibly fast split for a third shot on a target, it's almost always because they called the second shot as bad/marginal and they made it up before they even had a chance to think about it. The brain said "that wasn't right, make it up" and it happened :cheers: