Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz 75b , Cz 75bd Or Cz 85

Guest bulm5

any of you guys shoot the CZ for production. Think Ron ankeny does. How do ya all decock this pistol safely if your model does not have a decocker????

Well the manual tells you. You grab the hammer between thumb and forefinger (tip to tip or tip to knuckle) with your weak hand, press the trigger and manually slowly lower the hammer. CZ will tell you to only lower to half cock notch, and many RO's insist on hammer all the way down. I do it all the way down.

I have the 75B and for production I would say go with the decocker model for simplicity. Or get the the .40 version with the manual safety and then you can shoot Production or L10 depending on your mood.

Whatever you do, DO NOT DECOCK WITH THE THUMB OF YOUR STRONG HAND. Think about it for a minute and realize that if somehow the gun fires while you are decocking if you are using the weak hand you will get some bruised knuckles and ego, if you used the strong hand, you know have a broken thumb.

Vlad

CZ 85 combat in my book is one of the best ....had one before for IPSC production it has better sights(adjustable) than an ordinary cz 75 or 85..kinda like bomar style or wilson...get a good gunsmith to tweak the trigger to 3#DA and the rest 1.5SA..for lowering the hammer ide suggest a thick wire to decock it i had problems with this in a match befor(see match screw up's)....

The CZ75 decocker model lowers the hammer to the half cock notch , but ipsc and uspsa say the CZ75 da/sa model has to start with hammer all the way down. This makes no sense at all. One would think a factory instruction manual (lower to half cock) would be the guiding force in this. It seems to me that this is a gun handling safety issue with half cock being the safer choice.

The one you want is the 85 Combat. It has to be the Combat model - not just the 85. Why? The 85 Combat comes stock with adjustable sights, it lacks the Series 80 firing pin safety which is a GOOD thing as all the Series 80 safety does is make the trigger pull heavy. And the Combat has extended mag relaese as well as no "mag break" so mags drop free. This gun is nearly perfect right out of the box. Add the lightest hammer spring offered by Wolff, maybe a lighter recoil spring and a hammer/sear polish and you have a very sweet Production gun.