Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Get your note pads out.

sfpmb

Hello,

I looked at some of the other posts and thought I would throw this out there. Bottom line each of these shooters is committed to getting better. There may be experience in here that can point out a few things to us. This was a unique situation for this match as it was super bowl sunday and the stages were made with little movement so we could run through them fast and everyone could go home. This gave us a great opportunity to put the camera in a position we rarely see ourselves in during competitions, in front of us. I am looking for you to pick one thing that the shooter could have done better i.e. footwork, transitions, reloads, arm bend, whatever, and we can look at it to try to focus on during our training. I did not put the score because that question has already been answered, if we did not get the points, we know what that problems is. I don't want the obvious, single misstep, I want the tecnique brought up.

VIDEO - the small things count

You fill in the blank - one thing to work on in each stage

Stage 1

Phil -

John -

Kevin -

Brad -

Stage 2

Phil -

John -

Brad -

Kevin -

Stage 3

Phil -

Kevin -

Brad -

John -

Stage 4

John -

Brad -

Phil -

Kevin -

Thank you.

Stage 1

Phil – Solid run. The only thing you can do is shoot faster.

John – Stop reloading at belly height. Keep the gun up high for the reloads.

Kevin – Excessive body movement during reload. You drop the gun down then bring it back up. Just bring it back, keep it high and complete the reload.

Brad – You hunch down to bring your head to the gun during the draw. You also poke out your strong side hip during the draw. Bring the gun to your eye, not your eye to the gun. The only thing that should be moving during the draw are your arms and hands. The botched reloads kill your stage run time.

Stage 2

Phil – I think you had the most efficient start on this stage because you chose to move to a shooting position as you drew the gun, basically masking the time of the draw. Everyone else stood and drew to the middle section wasting time in whatever their draw time was. The only thing you could have improved was to start moving out of the shooting positions as you were engaging the final target in the string.

John – Drawing to the middle section at the start wastes time. You could have also been moving to the left as you engaged the last target in the middle section allowing you to be ready to shoot through the port almost immediately. You pull the gun back and poke it back out way too much. Keep the gun out and ready to shoot when moving small distances. Call your shots on the steel instead of listening for the “Ding”. You are slow to exit the extreme left shooting position because you were waiting to confirm the hit. Call your shot and move on. There is no time to look for holes in targets or listen for hits.

Brad – What are the quality of your hits? It seems like you are shooting a lot faster and I can hear your misses on the steel. If you are shooting too fast and getting crappy points or need make up shots on the steel then all of the extra speed is a waste. Good movement while shooting the target through the left port. Everyone should have been able to keep moving as they shot those two port targets.

Kevin – On the extreme left side you bend over to the left at the waist to lean around the wall. Bending at the waist makes it harder to move out of the position in the opposite direction. Get lower in these situations as that will allow you to lean around the wall more securely and allow you to explode out of the shooting position in the opposite direction. You are waiting too long to fully mount the gun when entering shooting positions. The gun should be up and out ready to rumble before you get to the final shooting position. Currently the time of poking the gun In/out is being added to your stage runs.

Stage 3

Phil – Ok movement through the stage. Since we can’t see the targets and the target availability limitations its hard to give any movement suggestions. The only thing I can think of would be to come into the shooting area more to the left to take the second string of targets first, then back up as you engaged the targets on the right. The sooner you can get to the end of the COF the better. Eliminating a shooting position can be a big time savings even if the shots are a little harder. You need to speed up your shooting.

Kevin – Nice first shooting position. You combined the right and forward target strings into a seamless event of shooting. Still too much poking the gun in and out between shooting positions. If you feel like you have to pull the gun back to gain balance or aggressiveness in movement only pull the gun back a little. Pulling the gun all the way back to your chest is a waste of time.

Brad – If you got your hits, this was the best run by all. You kept moving through the whole stage and that saved you a lot of time.

John – Same as before. Don’t reload at belly level. Work on shooting through the positions instead of stopping.

Stage 4

John – Way too much tension while shooting. You would be able to shoot faster and more accurately if you were not so tense. You can see the tenseness the most at the end as you are pushing into the targets. Are you calling every shot or getting a single sight picture and pulling the trigger twice? The cadence of your shooting makes it look like you are only getting one sight picture and pulling the trigger twice.

Brad – Looks like a nice solid run, if you got all of your hits.

Phil – Turn up the speed on your vision so you can call your shots faster and in turn shoot faster.

Kevin – Lots of extra body movement. Economy of movement is king in this sport. The top shooters only move as much or as fast as they have to and nothing more. There is no wasted movement in their actions, thus it takes them less time and effort to shoot a stage.

Cha-lee

I would like to thank you for your response. Your observations are fair and workable into our training. It was more detailed than I expected and from the things you mentioned, it is obviously based on your shooting acumen. Thank you again for taking the time. I am going to try to pick up my speed while maintaining the same composure.

Personally, just filming several people together has shown me quite a bit more than when I have just filmed myself. Seeing other shooters on the same course and how you were the same, slightly different, or not even close is a big motivator for any kind of change.

Phil