Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder measure binding and HS-6 in 9mm Q?

cookselk

I reload on a Dillon RL-450, I upgraded the primer system but I left the powder measure the same, in other words it is a manual drop. The problem is when I use fine grained ball powders like AA7 or H110 it will bind up and not move. This even occurs with some fine flake type powders but to a lesser degree. I have used my RCBS little dandy measure in place of the Dillon measure but you lose the adjustability and it isn't as convenient.

I've recently started playing around with loads for my 9mm comped glock looking for a minor load. I see that HS-6 is quite popular but am wondering if it is one of those fine grained ball powders and would give me fits if I reloaded it.

One of my all time favorite powders was 3n37 it metered so nicely! But it has become impossible to find around here. Is there anything out there that is similar in metering consistency? I've used 4756 and it meters almost as well as 3n37, Titegroup will "leak" through but not too bad, Unique is somewhat inconsistent.

HS-6 doesn't seem to cause much of a problem. I did have the same problem with True Blue and solved it by just polishing the powder bar and the filler piece. Started with a flat surface and 360 grit paper, then to 600 and final polish with crocous cloth. No more problems with any powder and the measure operates very smoothly.