Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Verbal Judo

DyNo!

Some of us are capable of pulling off stuff like this unconsciously every once in a while:

And then, some of us have read "Verbal Judo" and are capable of doing it on demand.

THIS **** IS AMAZING!

I bought the book and killed it in a day and a half. Ever since, I've been verbal-judo chopping my way to success.

This popped up in my head because today, I was in a dull political science class reading a book (that wasn't a part of the class.) Most of the other students were texting underneath their desks when the 100 year old professor said:

Prof: Young man, you came in here and you've been reading that book the entire time, what are you up to?

All of a sudden, 32 eyes turned on me...

Me: Whoa sir, you're talking about this book I'm reading? *Holds up and confidently waves around "On Killing" by LTC Dave Grossman*

Prof: That's correct

And without missing a beat-

Me: Well professor, I was looking for a research question for the assignment you're talking about now. Would you say that tracking violent crime statistics are within the scope and methods of political science?

I was successful in redirecting the focus of the class and the professor off of me and then, the professor began to enthusiastically discuss another topic instead of what I should have been doing in his class.

Yes, I should be paying attention or taking notes but that's not the point.

About 4 of my close friends who I've spoken about the book to recognized the ploy and started cracking up.

Edited by DyNo!

Sounds like you read as much as I do, and yes verbal judo can get your butt out of or into trouble. It's worked for me. And Grossman's books are invaluable, covering topics that people don't every talk about. Good stuff.

Edited by aci