Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stovepipe Once Every 150-200 Rounds

Newguy

Every 150-200 rounds or so I get a stovepipe. Here's the gun specs:

Briley Signature series (linkless barrel) .40 S&W

Sprinco guide rod w/ 12 lb recoil spring (165 pf loads)

Aftec extractor

STI mags with Grams followers

Well lubed with Slideglide

At first, I the culprit was the extractor, but the tension is pretty right (the fp stop has been rounded as per Aftec's instructions--also polished). Changed out the recoil spring and still have the same problem. Could it be the Sprinco? Did anyone have similar problem with this setup?

I would make the following changes:

Swap the Sprinco guide rod for a conventional one

Replace the extractor (you should spares anyway) and FP stop

Check your ammo-you didn't mention what load you are using.

I am a little leery of those Aftec extractors, they aeem to be an ingenious solution for a non-existant problem.

I've had so many extractor problems that I have become self taught on how to tune them - not always successfully - but most of the time. If the case is stovepiping I've often found it to be extractor tension a little low possibly coupled with an ejector that isn't quite long enough. There isn't a lot of adjustment in an aftec, but you can try new springs or spread the springs slightly to adjust tension. I try mine with dummy rounds (no primer or powder) and I want to just feel a slight tension when the extractor picks up the round when you cycle it slowly and it should eject the round easily.

The idea is a balance between too much tension (round has too much resistance from the extractor and noses down or won't feed) or too little tension (round isn't held tightly enough by the extractor to be hit smartly by the ejector). Hope this helps as it is the process I use.

The aforementioned clocking could also be a problem, but I've never had this cause a problem even with ill fitting firing pin stops - every gun is different though.