Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The new NRA Basic Pistol textbook

jar

I'm taking the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor course next weekend, and my copies of the student texts arrived in the mail today. I was very happy with the new version of the Basic Pistol book. It's FAR more up to date than the previous book I got when I took the class in 2007.

Highlights include:

Mod iso stance in most photos (weaver is also covered in the stance section)

thumbs forward is the primary grip taught for semi-autos (thumb on thumb for revolvers, one handed bullseye style grip is relegated to an appendix)

acknowledgement of the use of pistols for personal defense

includes tap/rack malfunction drill

section on dry practice

action pistol games featured prominently in the shooting sports chapter

Whoever was involved in this update did a FANTASTIC job. I had some concern about having to teach the 'NRA way' as opposed to the right way, but this new text has alleviated that.

I recieved my instructor certification in December and taught my first class on Jan 16th. The new book is quite an improvement over the old book. I was impressed with the amount of real photos of the different shooting positions and of the guns and parts. The new slideshow matches the book and also has alot of great illustrations. I went through the slideshow and removed alot of the transitions and line by line animation. Without removing them it's like shooting a 60 round stage for each slide because of all the clicking you have to do.

Good Luck on the class.