Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

American Select Load Data...

D. Manley

I've went through a stack of data manuals about 2 feet wide and I've gleaned about all I can through the search function so I thought I'd check with the braintrust on specifics...

I recently acquired a jug of American Select and intend to play with it mainly using 230 grain Rainier RN. Although published data always varies, for some reason there seems to be extreme data differences with American Select. I'm looking to just load up some good, accurate, pleasant-to-shoot loads comparable to the 3.9 grains of Clays or 4.8/5.0 grains S-1000 I normally use....PF is not an issue. I also have a a shipment of MG 185 JHP enroute and if American Select works well with that bullet for you, any load data there would be welcome as well.

Alliant actually has a really nice online load guide: Check it out HERE.

I also aquired an 8LB keg of this powder; I intend to put it to use for shotgun first, but I will probably try it out in pistol cartridges too. Good luck!

C

Alliant actually has a really nice online load guide: Check it out HERE.

I also aquired an 8LB keg of this powder; I intend to put it to use for shotgun first, but I will probably try it out in pistol cartridges too. Good luck!

C

Thanks but as I indicated above, I have Alliant's data and virtually everyone elses published data as well. Problem is, American Select data varies considerably for a fast powder. For instance, Alliant shows 4.9 grains (only) for a 230 grain JHP @ 780 and according to their data, is a max load (which, I have trouble believing). Sierra, on the other hand, goes from 4.3 (750) to 5.8 grains (900) with their FMJ & JHP and Hornady from 4.7 (700) to 5.4 (800) with their XTP. Differences are even greater with 185 grain jacketed data. I can work up a load with no problem, I'm just looking to shorten the grudge work by getting a little real-world information from anyone that cares to share it. I'm thinking that 4.6 to 4.8 grains is gonna' be close to what I'm looking for but doesn't hurt to ask.

I use American Select for 12 ga. shotgun as well as mild loads in 38 Special, 357 magnum, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. I always place greater faith in the powder manufacturers data than other handbooks.

I use American Select for 12 ga. shotgun as well as mild loads in 38 Special, 357 magnum, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. I always place greater faith in the powder manufacturers data than other handbooks.

+1, I normally do too. Kind of weird with American Select though, Alliant does not even offer load data for .45 using 230 FMJ (230 JHP only) but numerous other manuals do. I was hoping someone here was shooting it for minor (or below) and could offer some insight using specific bullets but no problem, I can just work things up normally.

I've used Select for 38 Special and 45.I just use Alliant's data for all my 230s,jacketed,plated,lead,etc.I use 4-4.5 grs and it works well for practice ammo.I wouldn't go much above that,its a pretty fast powder.Also,if you email Alliant with what you want,one of their techs will get back to you really quickly.There is a tech there that helped me out on 38 Spec ICORE loads.-Mike

From my RCBS software with Alliant as an original source,

185 gr JHP 5.9grs for 979fps

185 gr Lead SWC 5.1grs, 960 fps

with Speer as source

185gr gold dot, 5.5grs to 6.2 grs for 836-942 fps

I've used Select for 38 Special and 45.I just use Alliant's data for all my 230s,jacketed,plated,lead,etc.I use 4-4.5 grs and it works well for practice ammo.I wouldn't go much above that,its a pretty fast powder.Also,if you email Alliant with what you want,one of their techs will get back to you really quickly.There is a tech there that helped me out on 38 Spec ICORE loads.-Mike

Excellent idea Mike, thanks...I'll do just that.

From my RCBS software with Alliant as an original source,

185 gr JHP 5.9grs for 979fps

185 gr Lead SWC 5.1grs, 960 fps

with Speer as source

185gr gold dot, 5.5grs to 6.2 grs for 836-942 fps

Thanks Joe, appreciate it. I assume that's a max load for the 185 JHP and the RCBS proggie shows no data for 230's?

just the same 4.9 load you already have, question, have you actually loaded any ? just wondering if a 230 gr bullet seated to sammi oal leaves any room in the case. I know AS is a high volume to gr powder are you running out of space with the 230's ? Max psi for a 45 is 21000 psi and that 4.9 load is listed at 19600psi. keep me posted as I have 4 lbs of it. I bought AS thinking it may be my new do everything powder after I bought a .45 carry gun. But got into the tournament season before I had a chance to develop loads for it. Its higher volume per gr leads me to believe it may be a better powder for me. my intended use would be 40 major, 40 minor / precision molys, 45 acp 200 gr cast blasting loads, 44 magnum 200 gr cowboy level loads and if possible 9mm/115 fmj minor loads.

just the same 4.9 load you already have, question, have you actually loaded any ? just wondering if a 230 gr bullet seated to sammi oal leaves any room in the case. I know AS is a high volume to gr powder are you running out of space with the 230's ? Max psi for a 45 is 21000 psi and that 4.9 load is listed at 19600psi. keep me posted as I have 4 lbs of it. I bought AS thinking it may be my new do everything powder after I bought a .45 carry gun. But got into the tournament season before I had a chance to develop loads for it. Its higher volume per gr leads me to believe it may be a better powder for me. my intended use would be 40 major, 40 minor / precision molys, 45 acp 200 gr cast blasting loads, 44 magnum 200 gr cowboy level loads and if possible 9mm/115 fmj minor loads.

Have'nt loaded squat with it yet, Joe...or even opened the container, for that matter. Came by a jug, thought I'd shoot it up to best advange and hoping to be able to mimic my favorite 230 grain (Rainier) .45 loads of 3.9 Clays and 5.0 grains of S-1000. I've got a case of MG 185 HP's enroute and thought I'd try them 1st since it seems to be a bit more American Select data for 185's. I normally don't shoot many 185's but case lots of MG HP are as cheap (or cheaper) than CMJ's and the recent price increases on plated makes them more attractive. I've been using N-310 and WST under the 185's but when the new shipment comes in I intend to try Solo & AS with them as well. The more I shoot Solo, the more I like it.

I dont have any 45 bullets on hand but hey if you send me a couple hundred 185 hp's I'd be happy to load and chrono some through my Commander ? :D

Seriously though with alot of 185 data and almost no 230 I bet it's a case volume issue causing spikey pressure issues.

• 2 weeks later...
I dont have any 45 bullets on hand but hey if you send me a couple hundred 185 hp's I'd be happy to load and chrono some through my Commander ? :D

Seriously though with alot of 185 data and almost no 230 I bet it's a case volume issue causing spikey pressure issues.

Just for the sake of putting a point on the thread, finally got around to shooting a little of the AS today. I wound up loading 5.4 grains under the MG 185 JHP's @ 1.208. Shot fairly soft and accurate with minimal flash...felt very similar to a modest charge of Solo-1000 to me. Found its a very large, fluffy flake which you wouldn't think metered well but in use it wasn't as bad as it looked...10-throw composites stayed within 2 tenths or so of 54 grains. Shot well enough I don't have any trouble burning it up but don't think I'll be buying any...I sure didn't see anything that would make me dump Clays or S-1000 for it.