Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight in distance

2scoops

I sighted in at 200yds and thought I was good to go. Took the rifle out to 600yds and saw that i'm 1/4mil out at 600. Got me thinking about what distance should i sight in at.

So what distance do you sight in at and why ? 

Zero at 100 yards. Anything past 100 yards will likely require an elevation or hold over adjustment, depending on the size of the target.. Learn to use a good ballistic calculator like Bballistic AE,  Applied ballistics, Shooter, TRASOL, etc.  Garbage in garbage out with these ballistic apps. Use the trajectory information in the app to make corrections and verify on the range at distance.  

NO Idea what you mean by "1/4 mil out at 600"?  Saying actual doesn't match calculated?

I use 200yds for both PRS and 3-Gun.  200yds also seems to be the minimum distance at the PRS type matches I've shot.  Lot of times it seems to be almost exact .5, 1, 1.5, 2 mil holdovers to get to the ranges being used around here when the stage calls for multiple distances.  If all the targets are at one distance then you'd dial of course.

Make sure you keep a record of actual settings.  My range is limited to 200yds so a big disadvantage when it comes to match time.

Keep in mind you may run into mirage problems and time of day/temp/sun related reticle shift problems that can throw you off.

Nick

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...