Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag polishing?

Djp55

This seems like a dumb question, but then I remember there aren't any of those, just dummies like me who ask them :).  I just got a rimfire open gun because I've got one hand out for the next few months, figure it can keep me competitive. I bought some extra mags and was having minor feeding issues, I think due to the fact the old ones were "polished". Does this literally mean shined up? How does one go about this? Words of wisdom/caution are appreciated. It's a Ruger Mark II if that matters any, but guessing the response may be generic anyway. 

Thanks in advance. 

Do you reload?  If you have a vibratory case cleaner you could disassemble the magazines and let them run for an hour or so.

Are the magazines aftermarket or are they Ruger manufactured?  I picked up a half dozen "Ruger" magazines a while back (also for a Mk II) and after a good cleaning, they all run without problems.

The mags I got are majestic arms, as they are the same as the ones it came with (at least same baseplate markings). I do reload and have a wet tumbler with the stainless cleaning media, would that do it? Just body of mag, springs or no?

I've never used a wet tumbler so don't really know if that would work or not.

I only ran the magazine bodies through the tumbler.  My thoughts were it would clean out any gunk left in manufacture that I was not getting out with a clean rag and some CLP.  It might also knock off any metal burrs left by the factory.

I do  this periodically with all my metal magazine bodies, especiall SVI 2011 mags

Edited by Flatland Shooter

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Water63 said:

I never thought about using the tumbler.... Thanks for the tip

Tumble the tubes one at time or you'll scar them up. Also use fresh media because if there is a small pebble/rock in there thatcould scar them up. 

Edited by 3gunDQ