Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Everything Else Bag" for Flying

I'm going to do some flying next year for some long range shooting. I have a good hard case for the rifle but now I have to find something for all the rest of the stuff I end up dragging along with me. That includes some maintenance and cleaning equipment and tools; tripod; ammunition; boots; clothing; small rucksack; etc.

When going by car, I end up with three or four separate bags and cases, etc. This needs to all be consolidated into one bag I can check.

Needless to say, this has to be durable enough to deal with the gorillas who handle the bags. I'm probably going to be packing some stuff in separate bags inside, so this will be sort of a bag to hold some other bags and clothing.

Suggestions?

Stuff everyting into a big oversized wheeled Pelican case, maybe? I'd think anything big enough to hold a unbroken down rifle is going to be obvious to the casual observer, but mebbe so big it can't be pinched (I remember Matt Burkett travelling to teaching venues with a humongous chest-like Pelican or clone, that held a hella lot of gear).

Probably wouldn't be easy to fit into an average taxi or rental sedan, though...

No rifle matches, but all of my pistol gear plus all my clothes and travel kit will fit into a rolling duffel. If I used my small range bag as a carry one, I could even get two pistol cases and all the ammo I need for a major match into it. Mine is very similar to this:

http://reviews.costc...ews/reviews.htm

Edited by kevin c

Try going to a Samsonite outlet store. Last month I saw one in AZ that was a hardsided, light, really large one with two wheels. Should be good to hold bags and all your gear but don't know all of that will make the 50 pound weight limit.

Anyone ever deal with them? I'm always bothered when I see a price that's 80% off. But on the plus side... Made in the US and non-sale bags going for full price. And some good general product reviews at Snipers Hide. It might just be worth ordering on pure speculation. Thanks.

I travel a lot. Currently I am in the air 25 times a year. With weight restrictions you need to limit the "nice to haves" to what you will need plus hard to find spare parts or special tools. I travel with a carry on sized bag mostly but if more gear is required remove one or two layers of foam from the pelican case and pack clothes in there with your rifle. Cleaning liquids will not be permitted so pick them up when you arrive at your destination.

The Pelican cases are nice. I own several and they are hard to beat for protection. They are however heavy. Check airline weight limits and pack carefully.

Try going to a Samsonite outlet store. Last month I saw one in AZ that was a hardsided, light, really large one with two wheels. Should be good to hold bags and all your gear but don't know all of that will make the 50 pound weight limit.

Sounds like the Samsonite F'lite which is what I use.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used my hard golf club case for transport of my range bag, pistol case and other equipment (excluding ammo). These cases usually will have a cheap lock included in the closure mechanism, which I use as a back up in case TSA gets aggressive with the keyed pad locks I place on the outside of the case. I also have a TSA approved lock on the pistol case itself, inside the locked golf club case (as per TSA rules).

I also have pelican cases, but I am paranoid that these are good indicators that they are transporting firearms, and thus become a target for "sticky fingers". I have traveled with the golf club case set up about 5-6 times over the past 2 years. TSA did cut the pad locks off the case on one occasion to have a "look-see" inside the case, for reasons that are still not clear to me. I had no resultant problems since I placed the keys for the cheap latch- lock taped to the inside of the case with a note to the TSA ( Dear TSA, please find enclosed keys for my case in the event you have cut my pad locks off...). Please be aware that if you don't have some type of back-up lock for the case, TSA will not allow the bag on the plane, even if the enclosed pistol case is locked (as per the TSA agent I delt with during the above mentioned incident).

Some would say it makes better sense to put the TSA lock on the outside case, and the padlock on the enclosed pistol case, but the probability of someone having a key for the TSA locks is high, and the locked pistol case can then be removed from the luggage and stolen, lock and all.

Hope this helps.

My duffel would have TSA approved locks on the exterior. The gun cases were inside, cable locked to the frame. I kept the keys to the cable and gun case padlocks, with a note to TSA to contact me if necessary. Of the 5 times I've done it this way, I've been called back to open the cases just once.

I really like the look of the London Bridge Trading products and contacted them about their large Load-Out bag. Here is what I found.

First, this is a great company to deal with. They seem to be truly interested in each and every customer regardless of whether you are buying one thing or a hundred.

Secondly, their gear is built for the military and what may work for them may not work for everyone. The capacity of this bag could very well make it an oversized bag if you try and put it on an airline. It's OK if you are military traveling on orders, but not for a civilian. It's a pity because this is an incredible bag.

In any case, I am now trying to find out exactly how the airlines deal with bag size when it comes to things like duffle bags. The rule about not having an overall dimension greater than 62" doesn't really apply to something soft-sided.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found something interesting. There is a class of backpack that are specifically built for traveling. Minimum outside pockets, straps that detach or tuck out of the way, etc. General consensus is that they are not a good hikers pack but are very good for travelers that may have to shoulder the bag for short stretches but need something big enough to live out of.

The one I've decided to try is the Osprey Porter 65 It's 65L (about 4000 cu in) so should have enough capacity while still being small enough to meet travel requirements. It will be here next week at this time and I'll get to find out if I got this one right or not.