Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NP3 vs DLC

pitvpr

I have only ever had experience with Hard Chrome, this is the reason for this post.

I have 2 Open 2011 guns, both have the same barrel (KKM) both have the same general round count, different builders, different style comps. Both guns were purchased new.

Gun #1 was plated/coated with NP3 after approximately 2k rounds, (it was previously Cerakote), and it was built on an STI Slide/Frame.

Gun #2 is DLC Coated from purchase and it is a CK Arms Thunder, CK Slide/Frame.

Over the course of the last 2 years I have noticed that the gun that has the NP3 coating is significantly more accurate than the gun with the DLC coating as they get dry and dirty.

Test 1 -Both guns started cleaned and lubed with “light” Oil only, both guns grouped 2~3” at 20 yards, (same ammo) both were alternately shot using the same method.  

Test 2 – Both guns were allowed to run without cleaning or lubing for a period of approximately 700+ rounds in 90+ degree weather. (Note: The DLC gun was significantly dry).

Gun #1(NP3) still held sub 3” groups.

Gun#2 (DLC) accuracy degraded and was averaging groups of 5~6”.

I have repeated this test approximately 4 times over several months and have seen the same results.

Questions:

Does this make sense?

Is the gun with NP3 just develop a tighter lockup after re-finishing from the Cerakote?

Does DLC require more lube or “thicker” lube than other coatings?

Is Gun#2 just bad?

Thanks-

If you put a few drops of oil on the less accurate gun does it become more accurate ?

If not, then the impaired accuracy is probably due to the accumulation of detritus occasioned by discharge of 700 + rounds as opposed to a lack of lubrication.

33 minutes ago, Service Desk said:

If you put a few drops of oil on the less accurate gun does it become more accurate ?

If not, then the impaired accuracy is probably due to the accumulation of detritus occasioned by discharge of 700 + rounds as opposed to a lack of lubrication.

I will have to try this, thanks for your suggestion!