Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9major compressed Silhouette ok?

ShortBus

Like the title says, my gun likes short ammo and I'm loading up some test batches to hopefully run over the chrono this weekend. At 1.140 with a 115 JHP from precision delta the 8.9 powder charge is compressed for sure. The 8.7 appears to be just touching if my math is correct. 

What say you 

That's the same barrel I got n mine. How many rounds thru it? I'm around the 50k mark. Now I did switch from mg 115 to some sns bullets and actually seen a velocity improvement. They r sized .356.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, zzt said:

SB, are you running short because of the plunk test, or is it a feeding issue?

I've never touched my lands, and I've loaded very long. 

Short story is my gun has a weird stroke and only likes the stubbies. 

23 minutes ago, ShortBus said:

I've never touched my lands, and I've loaded very long. 

Short story is my gun has a weird stroke and only likes the stubbies. 

(1).   Most all 9 major loads are compressed.  Having said that, I would not load that short.  

(2)   MG bullets require more powder than other 115.  I have used MG in numerous barrels. IMHO, MG bullets are harder and do not seal the barrel as tight as other bullets.   The gas escapes around the bullet reducing FPS.  Another indication of this was the amount of lead in my comp with MG JHP.  When I switched to another JHP 115, the lead in the comp was almost nil.

(3)  KKM barrels (in my experience) are faster than other brands, meaning less powder needed for the same FPS.  

(4) If you load long (1.165) and are experiencing feeding issues--you might want to look at the feed ramp or the feed ramp fit to frame.  Except short chambered barrels, 99% of the barrels used for Open guns will feed 1.165 without issue.

31 minutes ago, lcs said:

(1).   Most all 9 major loads are compressed.  Having said that, I would not load that short.  

(2)   MG bullets require more powder than other 115.  I have used MG in numerous barrels. IMHO, MG bullets are harder and do not seal the barrel as tight as other bullets.   The gas escapes around the bullet reducing FPS.  Another indication of this was the amount of lead in my comp with MG JHP.  When I switched to another JHP 115, the lead in the comp was almost nil.

(3)  KKM barrels (in my experience) are faster than other brands, meaning less powder needed for the same FPS.  

(4) If you load long (1.165) and are experiencing feeding issues--you might want to look at the feed ramp or the feed ramp fit to frame.  Except short chambered barrels, 99% of the barrels used for Open guns will feed 1.165 without issue.

1. My previous loads weren't, so I'm just checking. 

2. I don't shoot MG?

3. As previously stated my barrel is slow. 

4. As mentioned earlier I will not be loading longer than 1.150. My gun likes short and it can not be changed easily. 

Edited by ShortBus

2 minutes ago, ShortBus said:

1. My previous loads weren't, so I'm just checking. 

2. I don't shoot MG?

3. As previously stated my barrel is slow. 

4. In Reilly mentioned earlier I will not be loading longer than 1.150. My gun likes short and it can not be changed easily. 

My bad,,,,thought I saw MG.  Just trying to help.