Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magpul X-22 Hunter Stock vs. Boyds SS Evolution

jkrispies

Hi all!  I'm asking this question specifically for a Steel Challenge gun so I thought I should drop the question here rather than Rifle - Technical.

I've been using a Boyds SS Evolution stock on my RFRO for years now, but I'm thinking about mixing things up a bit.  I've never been in love with the forearm design on the Evolution, and the Magpul looks like it has a bit more length out front without a significant gain in weight.  I held one at the WSSC at felt good in the hands.

Any users of the Magpul have an opinion on it?  Especially if you also have experience with the Evolution-type of stock and are willing to compare the two...

Thanks,

J

I have been using the Magpul X-22 Hunter stock since it came out and have been happy with it.  Prior to that I was using a Hogue stock.  At the same time I put on the Magpul stock I also switched to a Cmore sight on an Allchin mount.  With the cheek riser kit I was able to get my comb height adjusted to work with the Cmore.

On 5/11/2017 at 3:19 PM, lcambre said:

I have been using the Magpul X-22 Hunter stock since it came out and have been happy with it.  Prior to that I was using a Hogue stock.  At the same time I put on the Magpul stock I also switched to a Cmore sight on an Allchin mount.  With the cheek riser kit I was able to get my comb height adjusted to work with the Cmore.

May I ask which comb height you went with to get the correct cheek weld?  Looks like there's several to choose from...

I went lighter myself. I use either a Knoxx Axiom or a Magnum Research GC thumbhole. Axiom is the lightest there is but I like the ergonomics of the MR stock best. But the comb is too high for RFRI using the TacSol barrel and the MR stock so it gets an Axiom all the time. But when I am shooting both RFRO and RFRI at the same event I switch both to the Axiom and use a taller Magpul snap on riser on the RFRO gun (I use a Magpul Fixed Carbine stock on my Axioms in a fixed bolted down location so there is no stock movement at all).

One thing that sets the Axiom apart is the really short trigger pull distance. And why it is favored by a lot of junior shooters in Rimfire Challenge. Takes some getting used to having your trigger finger curled that much.

Edited by photoracer

• 1 month later...
I went lighter myself. I use either a Knoxx Axiom or a Magnum Research GC thumbhole. Axiom is the lightest there is but I like the ergonomics of the MR stock best. But the comb is too high for RFRI using the TacSol barrel and the MR stock so it gets an Axiom all the time. But when I am shooting both RFRO and RFRI at the same event I switch both to the Axiom and use a taller Magpul snap on riser on the RFRO gun (I use a Magpul Fixed Carbine stock on my Axioms in a fixed bolted down location so there is no stock movement at all).

One thing that sets the Axiom apart is the really short trigger pull distance. And why it is favored by a lot of junior shooters in Rimfire Challenge. Takes some getting used to having your trigger finger curled that much.

You have a pic of your stock set up? I use a vantage with the open xring but I wish I could find da thumb hole stock set up for the other xring

• 2 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:58 PM, Scootertheshooter said:

You have a pic of your stock set up? I use a vantage with the open xring but I wish I could find da thumb hole stock set up for the other xring

Here is a picture of both my rifles setup with the MR stocks. They are lighter than any of the wooden ones as they are fiber reinforced polymer. They are the most ergonomic to me of all the stocks I tried.

10-22A.jpg

Edited by photoracer