Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 vs Tanfo Stock 3?

lksyotas

I've only owned a STI Eagle stock with plastic grip and many small and large frame Glock platforms. In my opinion neither the Stock 3 or S2 feel anything like the for mentioned. I'd relate the Stock 3 vs S2 to the difference between a small frame Glock vs a large frame Glock. Both feel similar but one has a noticeably larger circumference. 

I also ran both the Stock 3 and Shadow 2 through my chronograph during my lunch hour today. Ambient temp was 78F and the loads were 135 Blue Bullets, 3.0 Prima V, 1.145 COL, Fed 100 primers, range brass. 

Fired 10 of each and got the following averages from both guns:

Stock 3: 126 PF

Shadow 2: 125 PF

On 4/5/2017 at 8:42 PM, lksyotas said:

Hello everyone, I wanted to send out a quick update on my original post.  I ended up buying a Shadow 2 and was able to get it to the range for its first work out during my lunch hour.  I brought along my Stock 3 for comparisons.  Only was able to shoot a round of Dot Torture and some distance drills with both guns to compare perceived recoil as well as how both sights return to target and timing on each.  

The Stock 3 gun feels a tad better in my hand.  I wear a large size glove and its a large frame gun.  The CZ feels just slightly smaller and the blackstrap of the grip is contoured just a tad different than the Stock 3.  When shooting they both feel the same though.  The new checkering on the front and back of the grip on the S2 are very well done.  Much better quality than the Tanfo's similar checkering.  

The S2 has a tighter slide to frame feel to it than my S3 but that could be due to it being new and my Stock 3 having almost 2000 rounds through it.  

I put 85 rounds through the gun today shooting 135g Blue Bullets over 3.2g of PrimaV.  This load makes 130 PF out of my Stock 3 so not sure what the Shadow 2 does yet.  Maybe next range trip I'll bring the chrono.  As far as perceived recoil goes, I'd say in my opinion, the Stock 3 was just ever so slightly less in felt recoil than the Shadow 2.  I fired freestyle, strong, and weak hand to verify this observation.  Both guns recoiled up and torqued to the right slightly in about the same manor when shooting.  Also, both guns sights seemed to return about the same on target for me with the S2's slide having a bit more velocity than the Stock 3.  If I didn't have both guns on hand today I wouldn't have noticed the differences.  

The only thing I've done to the S3 is replace the main spring with a 11.5lb.  Recoil spring and everything else is as stock.  I must say I'm actually impressed with its trigger!  Pull is butter smooth and the DA is averaging 7lb .4oz and SA is averaging 3lb .4oz.  I'd like the DA to be a bit lighter but I am totally happy with the crispness and weight of the SA.  Hardly any creep and short reset.  I actually like it as much as my Stock 3 that has had every PD spring installed, bolo, and Titan hammer plus full polishing on all friction points.  Compared to my old CZ SP01 Shadow, that needed a lot of polishing and trigger upgrades to get rid of the grit and pull where I wanted it, this new S2 is miles ahead for a new gun.  

I would agree that in this guns case, it truly is about ready for competition right out of the box at least for my shooting style.  Well done CZ!

IMG_5572_zpsbyvplq7z.jpg

Nice write up. Thanks.

I own a stock 3 and 2, but had the chance to mess with a shadow 2 the other day. Outside of the factory trigger being nearly good to go out of the box, I was far from impressed with the shadow.  

-the grip angle is all kinds of wonky due to the exaggerated hump on the rear section 

- it may weigh the same as a stock 3 but the weight is distributed oddly, giving it a strange feel (more front heavy than a stock 3)

-slide it so low profile that it's difficult to manipulate consistently at times 

-when placed side by side, the tanfo competition frames magwell is still bigger... 

I say shoot or at least get your hands on both, or all three if you can it will all come down to personal taste. 

Edited by bpipe95