Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Lock back

dmshozer1

Even my guns that lock back, lock back with one still in the mag. I'm shooting a L10 match in the not too distant future which should be interesting. 

Sv new or old, STI stock, tti, grams, Arredondo, sps... just doesn't seem to matter. Must be my bullets. 

Edited by tha1000

On 4/4/2017 at 10:53 AM, alleycat said:

Thanks - I will give it a try

I wouldn't mess with the feed lips to try to prevent over insertion.  Thats a really bad idea.  2011 mags can be very sensitive to the tolerances there.  You do that and you are very liable to start having feeding issues.  Not a good solution to fix slide lock back.  

1 hour ago, alleycat said:

I will just purchase the Dawson Mag. tuning kit and be done with it - I hope. Thanks

This probably will not help you with slide lock issues.  The Dawson mag tuning kit is designed to help with the inherent feeding issues that 2011 mags are susceptible to.  I don't want to discourage you from purchasing this kit as it is a good thing to have in your tool box but it probably will not help with lock back.  There is most likely something else going on such as followers or slide stop.  I have never heard of the feed lips being tuned to prevent slide lock back.  If your mags run perfect other than slide lock I would highly recommend not messing with the feed lips.  

One thing I found with my 2011 STI mags was the follower wouldn't slide straight up. They were OK on some, others you could push them down and wait and watched as it slowly squeezed its way up. Rather than mess with the tube I just sanded the follower a bit on each side made sure no burrs at front and back till I could slide them all the way up like the other tubes. Haven't had a problem since doesn't take long just don't take heaps off just a bit then try keep going. I measured the tubes outside it was like I thought they were about .005 thinner at the top end so the follower needed to squeeze up.

hope that helps