Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thanks Momma in law....

gunguru

My mother in law dropped my laptop this weekend.... and as you suspect, it cause some damage...

No physical or visible damage... but brain damage!

My computer start, goes up to the windows vista green bar, show the cursor and... nothing more, only a black screen! I tried to load it in safe mode, regular mode, I ran all memory test available in boot option, make sure everything seems well connected.

Then I try F11 and recovery mode. In this, I found the Checkdisk with the recorery module, but as he ask me to dismount C drive or something like that, I prefered to wait until some research... and by luck, the recovery module included a prompt window, with DOS command. It's where I'm happy to be an old vegetable knowing the basic DOS command. I was able to copy from HDD to my USB backup HDD all needed file and create a backup... phewwww.

My plan now:

Tonight after work I will try the Checkdisk, and then a partial recovery (windows check and repair), if it not work, I will try a full recovery (back to initial set-up, windows reinstalation). Will see.

Any other idea????

Laptop HP900, 3 GIG ram, 250 HDD, windows Vista.

I'm quite certain that the HD is damaged. Last year I dropped a netbook from about 2 meters when walking up the stairs and it landed flat on the bottom, with no visible damage........but the hard drive didn't survive.