Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New XL650 but case doesn't get pushed all the way to the shell pla

I just got my new XL650 in the mail today and have been going step by step through the instructions and have the case feeder all set up. But when I try to cycle the press, and to put the case on the shellplate, I cannot get it to push the case all the way onto the shell plate. I've followed the instructions in the back and have unscrewed the rod all the way out to let it push the case in, but it appears that the rod runs out of threading before I can push the case all the way in. I've attached pictures showing the gap between the case and the shell plate, how I have the rod completely unscrewed, and how far up the rod is on the plastic slope.

photo1gj.jpg

photo2np.jpg

photo3vi.jpg

You need to have a empty shell in the second station to make that adjustment correctly. Check your instructions again.

The instructions from the Dillon Manual say:

Using a 1/8” Allen wrench, turn the camming pin clockwise FIG 190 four or five turns – or enough so that when you push the handle to the full aft stop FIG 191, the case insert slide (see arrow FIG 192) does not push the case fully into Station 1 FIG 192 – this will give you a place to start the adjustment.

4. With the handle pushed against its full aft stop, start backing the camming pin out by turning it counter clockwise FIG 190. Continue to back the camming out until the case stops its forward movement into the shellplate. Once the case becomes fully inserted into Station 1, stop turning the camming

pin. When a case is properly inserted, it should not be jammed all the way into the shellplate pocket. There should

be a little play so the case is relaxed and won’t tilt. To understand this further, notice how the brass locator buttons

work. They don’t put pressure on the cases, they only keep them aligned. this should be checked whenever

changing calibers. Note: The objective here is that – at the point the case becomes fully inserted into shellplate (with the handle against its full aft stop) – the camming pin is still in contact with the case insert slide cam – or at least within a 1/16” of the case insert slide cam (see arrow FIG 193).

5. Once properly adjusted, tighten the lock nut.

I'm doing exactly just that. I'm not understanding how a case in station two would have any influence on how far the "case insert slide" is traveling along the station 1 locator bar. The issue is that I think my cam pin is too long because it does not allow the "case insert slide" to travel far enough. If I take the cam pin out, the "case insert slide" pushes the case all the way into the shell plate without any issues. What're the specifications for the cam pin?

Edited by hokeyplyr48

Are you using the correct side of the cam slide ? The top part of the sliding mechanism comes off, you use one side for pistol cases and the other side for rifle... (I think)

I think you can also adjust the top piece backward (to the right) and re-tighten the screw which may give you some more movement.

Edited by BritinUSA

You need to have a empty shell in the second station to make that adjustment correctly. Check your instructions again.

Using a 1/8” Allen wrench, turn the camming pin clockwise FIG 190 four or five turns – or enough so that when you push the handle to the full aft stop FIG 191, the case insert slide (see arrow FIG 192) does not push the case fully into Station 1 FIG 192 – this will give you a place to start the adjustment.

4. With the handle pushed against its full aft stop, start backing the camming pin out by turning it counter clockwise FIG 190. Continue to back the camming out until the case stops its forward movement into the shellplate. Once the case becomes fully inserted into Station 1, stop turning the camming

pin. When a case is properly inserted, it should not be jammed all the way into the shellplate pocket. There should

be a little play so the case is relaxed and won’t tilt. To understand this further, notice how the brass locator buttons

work. They don’t put pressure on the cases, they only keep them aligned. this should be checked whenever

changing calibers. Note: The objective here is that – at the point the case becomes fully inserted into shellplate (with the handle against its full aft stop) – the camming pin is still in contact with the case insert slide cam – or at least within a 1/16” of the case insert slide cam (see arrow FIG 193).

I'm doing exactly just that. I'm not understanding how a case in station two would have any influence on how far the "case insert slide" is traveling along the station 1 locator bar. The issue is that I think my cam pin is too long because it does not allow the "case insert slide" to travel far enough. If I take the cam pin out, the "case insert slide" pushes the case all the way into the shell plate without any issues. What're the specifications for the cam pin?

The case in station two must be primed (new or used). The reason it matters is because the handle can only travel forward until the primer punch seats (or contacts) the primer. During actual loading, the handle is limited and can't go any farther. If you look at the punch in station two when there's no shell case there, you can see how far the punch can travel if not restricted.

If no one else has done so, I'll measure my pin when I get home and post the results.

The case in station two must be primed (new or used). The reason it matters is because the handle can only travel forward until the primer punch seats (or contacts) the primer. During actual loading, the handle is limited and can't go any farther. If you look at the punch in station two when there's no shell case there, you can see how far the punch can travel if not restricted.

If no one else has done so, I'll measure my pin when I get home and post the results.

Yeah what he said.... thanks Bob... you beat me to it. Personally have not had this issue but after reading about it wanted to understand and tinker with my own machine. Cheers :cheers:

So then if I understand it correctly, do you have to manually push the first case for every reloading session into the shell plate? That doesn't seem right to not have the first case feed correctly because of there not being a case in station 2 :blink:

No, it's just to set up the correct travel. Once set-up it will be travel limited by the adjustment screws.

Thanks everyone for your help so far, I won't be able to tinker with the machine till probably tomorrow night or possibly Thursday night. I sure do hate busy schedules...

I also had someone measure they're cam pin so thanks for the offer! No need for you to disassemble your machine.

Good luck with the fix. Please let us know what happens.

As it turns out the metal piece that supports the akro bin and the completed round chute had arrived bent. As this was my first Dillon press, I had no idea what it was supposed to look like. Once I removed the piece it worked flawlessly. I've tried bending it back, but with my limited tools I have it strung up with rope to keep it from hitting the case feeder portion near the shell-plate.