Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Helpful/Harmful using one platform in 3 DIvs?

BoyGlock

Here,s my resume:

I am 50. Started this sport in 2003 @ 43.

Shot Prod Div exclusively for 1 yr w/ a Gk17

Shot Standard Div for the next 3 consecutive years w/ a Gk35

Shoot in Stand Div for another 3 concecutive years up to the present w/ a 1911/2011 platform

At present I can say Im a decent shot equally w/ the glock and 1911/2011 platforms

My hardwares to date are: 1 glock 17 for prod div; 1 glock 35, 1 Para, 1 STI all set-upped for Std, 1 Gk 17 set-upped for Open Div w/c Im starting to learn on.

I plan to compete and intend to be better in all 3 IPSC divs, prod, std and open. and I initially plan to shoot them w/ an all-Glock platform believing and assuming my learning curve will be much easier if I practice only one platform. So, since January this year Ive been practicing extensively w/ my glocks. On second thought, I am afraid I will be degrading my skills in the 1911/2011 if I continue this all-glock regiment, so Im considering practicing w/ a 1911/2011 for std and w/ glock for prod and open. But doing so will devide my time and attention in to 2 very different platforms that requires 2 diff mind and body sets.

My dillemma that begs for your guidance are: Will I have problems transitioning between the 2 platforms in short notice? Will all the skills in one platform carry over to the other? Is it an advantage or not? Or am I better off w/ an all-glock set-up and dont mind my 1911/2011 anymore? At my age, I dont have much time to experiment and not so receptive and flexible to changes and different environments although I keep trying to be. But I practice a lot. My daily dry fire regimen is solid as can be w/ 1 hr minimum practice a day. My typical live fire practice is 2-3x a week, 200 rnds min per session. I dont have formal training on this as its not available here in my place. But I am a deligent student of be's forum and his Book :)

I started shooting with the Glock 6 years ago then after a few years went to STI's. Just this year I got a Glock 34 and was going to shoot production but to be honest I have had a really hard time getting used to the trigger in the Glock. I'm sure if I was going to make the switch and shoot the Clock 100% of the time I'd get used to it. Maybe you are more adaptable than I am. But I am finding it very hard to go back and forth. If I had the choice I'd stick to the same platform for all 3 Divisions. Good luck in whichever you decide.

I started shooting with the Glock 6 years ago then after a few years went to STI's. Just this year I got a Glock 34 and was going to shoot production but to be honest I have had a really hard time getting used to the trigger in the Glock. I'm sure if I was going to make the switch and shoot the Clock 100% of the time I'd get used to it. Maybe you are more adaptable than I am. But I am finding it very hard to go back and forth. If I had the choice I'd stick to the same platform for all 3 Divisions. Good luck in whichever you decide.

Put a Vanek trigger in your Glock. It'll make the transition back and forth MUCH smoother. :cheers:

Thank you.

I might add that my main division to date is the standard, if it makes any difference to know. I havent shot prod in the last 6-7 yrs and am just starting to learn the open. Its why I believe shooting a single platform in 3 div would help me lot w/o really practicing for each one of them. Shooting my G35 in std would develop skills that will carry over to shooting my G17 open and prod guns... Im for it but have doubts and want to be sure Im not wasting my precious ageing time. As BE said, certainty is fast...doubts are time wasters in shooting. Its also true in my case.

I read somewhere that shooting open division should improve your standard division shooting (I'm not sure where I read or heard this though). The theory (I think) is that by shooting open, you concentrate and learn more about transitions and that you're supposed to carry this over to your std division shooting. I think the standard and open division should be easier for you to adjust to since the trigger pull and grip angle is similar. For the Prod division, since you are using a Glock, the trigger pull and grip angle is quite different from the 1911/2011 platform.

Btw BG, where are you from? :D

I read somewhere that shooting open division should improve your standard division shooting (I'm not sure where I read or heard this though). The theory (I think) is that by shooting open, you concentrate and learn more about transitions and that you're supposed to carry this over to your std division shooting. I think the standard and open division should be easier for you to adjust to since the trigger pull and grip angle is similar. For the Prod division, since you are using a Glock, the trigger pull and grip angle is quite different from the 1911/2011 platform.

Btw BG, where are you from? :D

So shooting in one platform in all 3 divs will be an advantage in the long run? Maybe not to win matches but to my self only. Im inclined to believe that, and I could be at ease w/ that coz winning matches is not always my goal when I shoot. But if I can still have the same advantage by using 2 or more platforms that would be even better if not best. But, is it easily doable? Maybe one of my probs is that I dont want to give up any one of the said platforms and waste the time and resources I spent to develop the skills for it? Maybe Im hoping to live and enjoy the advantages of 2 diff worlds at the same time...But shooting all-glock will also make practicing for prod div a lot simplier, I submit to that.

Having a lot of choices and the freedom to choose is a blessing... but can be a curse...

And as to your inquiry, sir...Possible Im from the same place as you?

Edited by BoyGlock