Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Skills drill with 3 mags with 6 rounds each

lugnut

I ran a stage where there were 3 consecutive shooting positions- each required 6 shots for a total of 18 for the stage (all one string). Each magazine needed to be loaded to 6 only. On the buzzer and after my first shot my mag fell out of the gun... problem was it was a no light stage and I struggled to find where it went!! Knowing that I only had two more on my belt I had to find it! Must have take 10+ secs on a stage that should have taken about 20 secs.

The stage got me thinking- could I have had extra mags in my pockets? My interpretation of the magazines is that you can only have one in the gun plus 2 more EITHER in your pockets or on your belt. Am I right?

Thing is with this stage you have NO extra rounds at all and are basically screwed when something like that happens. Thoughts?

You are correct............. 1 in the gun and 2 on your belt or pocket, preferably your belt. If you were to have an "extra" mag in your pocket used for your Barney round or just happen to leave one in your pocket,it cannot be used in the CoF. If the "extra" mag is used during the CoF you get some extra seconds added to your score.

Sounds like this CoF didn't give you any options for a malfunction like you had. You gotta love those evil CoF designers !!!

I shot the same match. I was worried about what would happen if I got a malfunction on that stage. I've just started loading with Wolf primers and they take extra force to seat. I've had a few failures to fire in practice, but luckily not in a match.

On some stages a malfunction or failing to seat the mag costs you 2-3 seconds. On other stages it costs you a whole lot more. Sounds like you had a "whole lot more" stage. Sounds like you did alright though. You could have had 6 misses plus FTN's (perhaps) etc.

On some stages a malfunction or failing to seat the mag costs you 2-3 seconds. On other stages it costs you a whole lot more. Sounds like you had a "whole lot more" stage. Sounds like you did alright though. You could have had 6 misses plus FTN's (perhaps) etc.

Misses yes... but no FTNs in a limited vickers stage.

• 2 weeks later...

It's too bad that the stage ended badly for you. I've been there and it sucks. <_< When I design skill drills, I sometimes specify a tac load instead of the slide-lock reload. This usually allows a shooter to have a malfunction (FTF, jam, etc.) and be able salvage the string. However, this does not allow for recovery after dropping a magazine from the gun...in the dark...and kicking it somewhere. :roflol:

Regarding those evil CoF designers !!! I think he would need to blame Murphy for that one, not the course designer. :rolleyes: