Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Punch catching on primer disc in 650

I have a 650. I've loaded thousands of rounds with few problems. A new one has popped up and I can't seem to fix it. I noticed that the action of the machine wasn't operating smoothly. I went looking for the cause and found that primer punch was catching on the holes in the primer disc when the arm when to move it to the next spot. I took out the punch and cycled the machine a few times and it was nice and smooth. Apparently the punch isn't fully retracting into the body of the punch assembly. I compared it to my large primer punch (machine currently set up for 9mm) and noticed that the large punch sits flush with the top while the small punch protrudes. I tried to clean the punch assembly, but it still won't retract to sit flush with the top and is snagging the primer disc.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it? I'm thinking that I might end up calling Dillon for a replacement as the easiest solution.

I too suffered this and Dillon gratiously sent me a new one. The problem was I couldn't wait for the mailman so I took it apart and ground off a little bit of the length of the punch. This worked great and is still working now as I've been too lazy to put in the new one.