Primer tube filler for about $10

gmantwo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This new set up should work well for Federals primer trays (I can actually load Winchester or CCI primers faster using the regular tubes and a "double flip" of the primers from the first tray into an empty second, and then onto the pickup tray - you end up with a nice even 10 x 10 primer grid that's really quick to pick up; can't do that with Federals where the primers are sideways).

Won't help me, but it'd be nice if the other brand hand priming tools use the Lee round tray - hopefully replacement parts would be available at less cost than the whole unit.

Edited by kevin c

Got a couple AutoPrimes off EBay (don't ask what I paid <_< ) and tried this out. I did a variation that allows me to load multiple tubes. It also keeps the AutoPrime unaltered if you ever want it back in its original form.

The top plastic cover is the same. On the bottom where the handle would go and where Gman2 glued in the tube, there is a U shaped trough. Put a double thickness of tape, the same stuff used for taping targets, on each inside wall of the U. On the floor of the U you'll need a flat block that runs from the end of the plastic up to where the opening to the top of the primer tray is located. The height of the block needs to be adjusted so that when you set the primer tube in place, the tape snugly centers the tube left and right, and the block elevates it so that the opening of the tube and tray coincide. You could fit a small balsa wood block in there, sanded to size, or you could do what I did, cutting a pad of PostIt notes to length and ~5/16" wide, removing the bottom paper and setting it in the trough. The adhesive will keep it in place. You then peel off slips of paper one or two at a time until the tube and tray opening line up.

I just remove the pickup tip from the tube and push it into place, butting the end up against the opening. It seems that the friction fit is fairly secure for the amount of weight involved, but I hold the gizmo at the "neck" where the tube and tray come together anyway. I feel a bit more secure about not having 100 primers bouncing through my reloading area, and it balances there anyway. Once full, I just pull the tube off and recap it with the pick up tip.

Works good so far. :cheers:

Having a hard time envisioning this. Can you post pics?

The Lee round tray is no longer available, no parts at all. I bought 3 complete units from eBay sellers just to secure a supply. Not that they'll ever go bad, but I've got a few friends I haven't made these for yet.