Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

single stack mag well

Full mag

I like the idea of the techwell, but I dont want to have to buy new grips at this time, and Id rather not send my current ones out to be cut. ive heard nothing but good things about them tho...

The CMC's I have work fine, but you can't pop the basepad off and it's a pain to compress the spring, then capture it with a pin, etc to get the follower out, then the spring out....too slow when you have to clean 4-5 mags after nearly every stage! R,

Your CMC's must be the old the Shooting Star design (welded bottom). McCormick Power Mags have the same base pads as the Wilson D47. In fact, the base pads are interchangeable.

Which raises my own question: I need to add extended base pads to my CMC Power Mags to work properly with my new Ice magwell. Should I go with the CMC extended, Wilson Extended, or Dawson Extended? I can't find the measurements for the CMC or the Dawson, so its difficult to be sure I'm comparing apples to apples. I do note the Dawsons are $10 compared to the $5 CMCs, but if they're long enough and I don't have to grind the front end myself, they might be worth it.

Anyone else using an ICE with CMC Power Mags? Anyone have the specs on either the CMC extended basepads or the Dawson basepads for 1911?

Finally measured the CMC extended base pads and tried them in a box. With my S&W 1911 they do just fine with the box. The inside measurement for the box was 6.053, just a tad less than 6-1/16th. I had just a little bit of room to spare and that was without compressing the mag in the magwell. There is another 32nd of an inch or more if you compress the mag spring. :D

This is with a low profile Novak non-adjustable sight. With a higher profile sight you could run into trouble pretty quick.

The CMC extensions add .246 to the thickness over the stock base pad.