Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 Masters International Shooting Championships

gmantwo

Here is the set-up for the 2010 Masters Shooting Championship. There will be a $1000 check to the overall Master, but he will not be eligible to win any of the individual events. That means whoever comes in second to the Master will get a check for winning each event, pretty sweet. Why don't some of you who think you're good enough come join us and try to take some or our money, lol. There is not another match like this one anywhere, it is totally unique in the shooting world. Three different shooting disciplines combined into one overall match. Here is the letter from Lee Atkins explaining the new format, with some old elements returned from the past. This match is a blast, literally.

"So gang, here are the changes for The Masters this year. Thanks to everyone that sent emails and talked to me in person. Your help was invaluable.

First, we are going to keep the Pro/Sportsman format. I would have loved to eliminate the Pro Class because it would make everything much more simple. But that would have meant that all you guys who have worked so hard all these years to win the Sportsman title would no longer be able to win it. Entry fees will stay the same.

Second, the match format we shot last year will stay the same. If it aint broke, don't fix it. But we ARE planning on changing target layout on at least one stage of the Action Event, and going back to the six-shot maximum with seventh-shot penalty for the Action Event overall. Thats the way the electronics are set up anyway.

Third, The Long Range portion of the High 16 Shootoff will definitely be freestyle, like last year. What a blast.

Next, since Revolver Category competitors shoot a different course of fire in the Long-Range Event, they will compete for the Revolver Master title only. Payout for revolver competitors will come out of their entry fees only. No prize table.

Finally, you can shoot in one, two, or three Categories (Open, Stock, and/or Revolver), but you can only go to the prize table once, either with your Open or Stock gun score, whichever ranked higher. And, based upon the current number of entries, whoever wins the Masters title will receive a check for $1000 and will be eligible for a check for winning the High 16 Shootoff, but will not be eligible for a check for winning any of the three individual Masters Events. Those checks will go to whoever wins each Event, or places second to the Master in those Events. The amount The Master wins is based on the current entry figures and sponsorship and can flex with any increase or decrease in those numbers.

With these changes we will have larger prizes on the prize table and hopefully larger checks to write."

Lee Atkins, Masters CEO

Here is the Masters website, go check it out. http://www.themasters.org

Edited by gmantwo

• 1 month later...

I still remember driving down for the first Masters in 1986 to see what it was all about. Really enjoyed it and the people were great. If I recall correctly that is where I first bumped into Walter and Thelma Blackwell. He lived kind of in my area and I went on to shoot at his club now and then. Still want to try the silhouette game sometime just never had an opportunity. Think I stayed in Hannibal which is a Twainey kind of town,...

and that's about it for my stroll down memory lane.

earl

It hadn't gotten HUGE at that point. My first year was '90 and it was HUGE. Banners lining the road all the way to the range, huge vendor tents, hundreds of people, cars everywhere. That was my first major shooting match of any kind, and it sure was impressive! All the big names were there, Brian, Jerry Barnhart, Jerry Miculek(?), Jethro D. All the big name gunsmiths too. Sure is a shame people can hold a grudge so long about something that wasn't ANYBODY's fault. SHIT happens, and sometimes you just need to wipe yourself off and give it another chance.

There's still nothing like this match anywhere in the shooting world, nothing even comes close

• 1 month later...

Talked with Jerry Miculek at the Area 6 match. He said he's been thinking about coming back to the Masters since they added the revolver division. GREAT! Another major name attending the Masters would be a step in the right direction. Now we just need to convince some others.

Hey Julie, if Jerry comes, you should join your other S&W Team mates. We'd love to see all three of you at the match. We've got one who always comes, one more possible, it would be awesome if the whole team made it.

Sure is a shame people can hold a grudge so long about something that wasn't ANYBODY's fault. SHIT happens, and sometimes you just need to wipe yourself off and give it another chance.

There's still nothing like this match anywhere in the shooting world, nothing even comes close

What are you talking about?

• 2 months later...

We now have about 45-50 shooters(compared to a LIMIT of 300 in the matches heyday). Many shoot in more than one division, so 60-70 scores to post. We gain a couple of new shooters each year. In years past there have been near a dozen guns on the prize table. With the new "one trip" table rules, there should be fewer, but larger prizes. I've seen top finishers going home with 1,2 and even 3 guns in the past. Hoping more of team Smith & Wesson show up this year. Doug Keonig attends each year, and Bruce Piatt makes it every few years. It's a very laid back, but extremely difficult match, calling for a level of accuracy that isn't required in but a few competitions in the world. There has never been a perfect score fired in any of the 3 disciplines.

The 5th will consist of the Precision event and half of the Long Range event, the action is all shot on Friday. If you can, try to make it on Saturday for the High 16 shootoff, it's quite impressive to see and lots of fun being man-on-man.

I had attended the Masters for two or three years. I still have my long range 7mmBR built by Wichita Arms. It is the one and only side magazine left handed bolt Nolan ever built.

My last year at the Masters was when my son competed in the bikeathon. We had his Crossman revolver approved by range officials and had specifically asked if I could load his cylinder clips as long as he loaded them in his gun before he engaged the targets, the RO approved that I could do this. I remember it well because this RO was a Wilbert Vault Employee and we use Wilbert Vaults in our funeral business here in Larned. Anyway my son Aaron had won both his heats and advanced to the championship round. Dick Metcalf granddaughter was in this last heat too. Aaron won by some five bike lengths and had shot down all his targets. He was so excited that he had won a $50.00 savings bond! But it was all for not when the very RO that had approved Aarons' gun and reloading process, came and told him he was disqualified because I had put pellets in his clips. I said to him, "didn't I ask you that very question before we started?" He nodded yes, but I have been overruled, looking towards Mr. Metcalf. (Guess who won?) I even ask if there was a protest process and he told me NO. My son has never competed since; he was 12 at the time.

Kim M. Beckwith

Ouch! Sorry to hear about him getting the shaft. That wasn't right, sad to say it happens though. I really hate to hear he let it keep him from competing further. There are several father/son sets who attend the Masters now, my own son, number 3, age 9, is going to shoot the match this year with me. I think we had 4 junior shooters last year, hope we add a couple more this year. William can't wait, he's been practicing a bunch, lol.

Sure is a shame people can hold a grudge so long about something that wasn't ANYBODY's fault. SHIT happens, and sometimes you just need to wipe yourself off and give it another chance.

What are you talking about?

I have to appologize for being one of the ones holding a grudge. Sorry It's just the way I am. I shot the first 10 Masters matches. It was loads of fun and met some of the greatest people. The most fun I had shooting the Masters was the 1995 match where they allowed production class within the Sportsman division. I jumped out of the equipment race and went old school. When I registered at the match that year there was a letter on the registration table stating that the prize schedule had not been established because money was still coming in and not to worry, "this was good news". This was signed Richard (Dick) Metcalf. When I finished shooting on Friday that year I had to drive 5 hours back home because of my job and then returned on Saturday evening for the banguet only to find out there was no prize money. I basically understand the SNAFU with the prize money, donators promicing but not delivering along with the push to have a million dollar match. Now the money I was to have won would have been nice (I'm A Cop) but it's the letter from Mr. Metcalf I can't seem to get over. I know that the Masters is now run by a separate organization and Mr. Metcalf is not "officially" involved but I'm just too bull headed to return. I wish the Masters the best and hope that one day it returns to it's glory days like in 1990 when 300 of the worlds greatest all-around shooters were there. In 1990 I was among the top of that group. If it does come back though it will have to be without me. Sorry.

Dwight Stearns

Edited by Dwight Stearns

Thanks Dwight for your truth and honesty. I have only reached the high 16 once and might not have done it then if a higher finisher had not sat it out, but I feel very strongly that it is the greatest match there is. I shoot IPSC mostly and NRA action a little, making the Bianchi every other year. There's simply nothing else like it in the shooting world.

I shot the Masters in '90 and '91 and then not again until '07, so I wasn't there for the fallout, but I have several close friends who were. There are a very few who have shot in all 25. The attendees now, besides Doug Keonig, and maybe him as well, are there because they feel like I do about the match. Frank Glenn drives 1600 miles each year, lol. One way! I'm fortunate enough to live 200 miles away, so it's not that much of a trip. A friend and I went up a few weeks ago and spent several hours welding on the action event target array, just to support and help keep the match going, we feel that strongly about it.

We'd love to have you back, but I understand. I'm glad you enjoyed it while you did, and got out of it what you did before the fall.

A friend and I went up a few weeks ago and spent several hours welding on the action event target array, just to support and help keep the match going, we feel that strongly about it.

Saw that someone had added some bigger angle iron deflectors to the stands, I'll try not to shoot them up to bad before the match. You guys come up to work on things again give a heads up as I can't believe the steel we scrap out at work and I've got lots of free time to give a hand

Angus, thanks, seems the (whispers)"sports writers" went in and had a good ol' time slingin' lead. Too bad they didn't hit anything but hoses, lines and reset mechanisms, lol. Just kidding, I'm sure they can all shoot like super squad members. A little more burrying to do on the air supply lines and it should all be bulletproof. Until the stages change again.

Angus, thanks, seems the (whispers)"gun mag writers" went in and had a good ol' time slingin' lead. Too bad they didn't hit anything but hoses, lines and reset mechanisms, lol. Just kidding, I'm sure they can all shoot like super squad members. A little more burrying to do on the air supply lines and it should all be bulletproof. Until the stages change again.

Another nice feature of the Masters is that you can visit the range almost any time after the Masters Dress Rehearsal in June and practice all of the events. A $25 membership fee is required but that's not much considering the the opportunity. Some of us are old and gray enough to remember that Ken Tapp would have already been practicing for a week or two at this time of year.

• 3 weeks later...

How often in the world of shooting sports does a "completely" average shooter get to go head to head, mano a mano, with a world famous MAJOR team shooter?? Well it happens at the Masters. In fact, it happened to me this year. In the High 16 shootoff, I went head to head with one of the worlds best speed shooters, in the action event......

AND I DID NOT SUCK!!!

Edited by gmantwo

Hey,here is proof!

gregndoug.jpg

Congratulation G-Man.

Hey, shoot me an e-mail at mstuhr@hughes.net and send me mrmetalweld's e-mail or pass mine on to him and I'll have both yours and his.

It was good seeing everyone.

Dwight!!!!! If you are following this we hope you make it back. You were a sportsman champ in the past if I recall.

We would love to see you back and Lee and Larry will earn your respect if you give them a chance.

It is a small bit of what it used to be, but is still a lot of fun.

My scores dropped across the board this year from last, and I did a lot of grousing, but it was fun none the less.

Thanks G-Man

Mike

My 9 year old shot the Masters this year along with 4 other sub-juniors. He had a blast and did pretty well. He is the youngest shooter to ever compete in the Masters(thanks Pierre). He's already talking about next year and wanting to practice, practice, practice, lol. He tied for 3rd in the Precision event with 7 plates, tied for 3rd in Long Range with 27 plates, but his action score was where he lost ground. He had a couple of misfeeds and had a time of 77 seconds, which, BTW, is only 5 seconds slower than my first appearance in the action event in 1990, lol.

The kids are the future of our sport, and as such need to be included in all our shooting disciplines. Everyone who now shoots the Masters is committed to not only preserving the Masters, but growing and expanding it. Doug Koenig did a wonderful thing this year by donating his entire winnings back to the match to go towards promoting and advertising the Masters. Thanks Doug, that was a great indication of your feelings about the Masters. If we can get a few more top names to return, the match might one day approach it's former glory. Those were the days....

I've rarely seen a youngster with more heart and enthusiasm at a match. Based on will power alone, William is going to be a serious competitor.

The match was a blast, especially the shootoffs. Thanks to everyone who helped make it possible.

• 3 weeks later...

Almost forgot, I'd like to thank Doug Koenig for donating his entire winnings back to the Masters in order to promote the match! Thanks Doug, it's great to see you and your family at the Masters each year.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the invitation Mike. I gotta say I do miss the match and the friends.

I retire this coming year and will be looking to add some more matches to my schedule. Who knows, the Masters may be one of them. I'm afraid I will have to put some equipment together though. I no longer have a long range gun.

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Stearns

Dwight, it would be great to have you back. I've got both stock and open(front grip) XP's, so if you want to use either one for the match, to keep from having to invest so much right off, let me know. I've discovered that excellent practice can be had with a scoped .22 pistol shooting my plate rack at 100 meters standing. Trigger control on the standing phases is absolutely critical. The freestyle portions are what they are, I'm not sure practice on that is nearly as important as the standing portions, of which there are now 3, for 15 of the total plates.

Mike, great picture, thanks. I'd love to see one where Dougs targets and mine are visible. I can see in your pic, I have the right popper going down, a clear hit on the left plate, and that's all I can see. Should have had the front one going down as well, but I can't tell, lol. I remember my back popper actually falling after the stacked poppers were both down, so it fell very slowly. I can't wait for next year, the shootoff is SO much fun.

gmanto,

Don't lead Dwight astray, he'll need to knock down 20 total plates to clean the standing stages in Long Range. He can probably do it so I'd hate to see him stop after just 15 plates. Alternatively, he could choose the revolver category and shoot all of the Long Range plates from the position of his choice. C'mon back Dwight, we miss you.