Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayoubullets and WST

5early

I've been searching for someone using this combo but can't find any info. If someone else is using this please let me know what you're seeing.

Just loaded up some for the XD 9 5":

Bayoubullet 135gr

3.6 gr WST

WSP

mixed brass

COAL 1.135"

Same load @ 1.060" with a x-treme 124gr plated wouldn't cycle the gun reliably. The increased oal is moot with the bayoubullet being longer.

Keith

I did a test loads of their 125gr 9 mm. (have not shot them yet)

I put 4.5gr of WST OAL is at 1.145 looking for 130+.

I also loaded some with 4.0gr of N320 same length. Should hit about 130+.

For a reference point it takes 4.7gr of WST to push a MTG 124gr bullet to 1040 fps at 1.145.

I'm planning to do the testing this weekend and will get back to you.

I have found that in both 9 and 40 3.8gr of WST behind a 125 or a 180 will run all of my guns, just won't make any power factor.

Thanks CB,

I'm hoping the 135 gr bullets will help a little with the pf. I'm looking closely at the pressure signs though.

What primers are you loading and do you see any flattening with these loads?

Keith

edited for typos

Edited by 5early

Thanks CB,

I'm hoping the 135 gr bullets will help a little with the pf. I'm looking closely at the pressure signs though.

What primers are you loading and do you see any flattening with these loads?

Keith

edited for typos

Kieth - I will shoot these loads on Saturday after our local match and give you an update. I will check for pressure, but these are fairly moderate loads. They have MagTech small pistol primers in them. What I could get when I got them.

I normally just load a few sets in .2g increments. You have some at 3.6, then I would do some at 3.8, 4.0, 4.2, and 4.4. Start with the lowest powder charge then work up. And very important check brass for pressure signs and when you have reached the FPS that you want AKA powerfactor. STOP.

Discard any rounds with higher powder charges update your load book with your selection, including feet per second, temp, powerfactor etc.

I just tested out a couple of different WST loads this weekend. Not using Bayou bullets but using a commercial cast bullet made locally to me. They are using Magma Engineering equipment and molds. Fired from a M&P 9Pro (5" barrel)

Mixed brass, WSP Primers

9mm 125RN; sized .355; OAL 1.145

4.4 grains WST - 1075 average for a 10 shot string

9mm 147FP; sized .356; OAL 1.115

3.3 grains WST - 882 average for a 10 shot string