Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One More Time.... Dream Revolver Rig

pc1911

Greetings all -

Over the next few months I will be working with a group of new USPSA shooters helping them to get ready to start shooting USPSA matches in April. I will be reccomending this forum as a resource for shooters to learn some of the basics that took all of us so long (and in most cases so much money) to figure out. I know that some of these topics have been covered before, but I was unable to find a comprehensive post that provides it all.

In that vein, If you were starting from scratch and had the knowledge you have now, what equipment would be in your REVOLVER bag?

Belt, holsters, gun, mags, muffs, eyeware, shooting bag. Tell us about all of your favorite gear, and if you have the time, I'd love to hear why.

Thanks for helping me keep the sport going!

Paul

TY45562

One more time Paul.

For a revo rig the gun to have is a S&W. Mine is a 625 (.45ACP) but the 610 (10mm/.40S&W) should work just as good. Cylinder chambers in the 625 are so big it's almost impossible to miss a reload. I have the Brown thumblatch, SDM fiber optic front sight and Miculek grips on mine.

I use an old Safariland holster but want to get the CR Speed. My ltd rig is all CR and I'm very happy with these products. I use 8 moonclip holders, think they are from California Competition, though not sure. You can get 'em from Dillon or Brownells.

Get plenty moon clips and load them all the day before the match. Filling these gadgets takes a toll on your hands, so if you have hairdresser hands like I do, you'll love the REMOONER. There are different tools to remove the empties from the clips. I use the one the looks like an overweight hollow screwdriver.

If you get a shooter with a .38/.357 revo Brownells has different speedloaders to use with these.

Hope this helps.

The dream rig for revolver would be:

- S&W (6)25 .45 ACP (barrel length from 3" - 6,5" depending on personal prefs)

- CR Speed Revolver holster

- CR Speed belt

- Caliornia Comp. Works clipholders (8 is good, 6 will do in IPSC)

- Enough Moonclips (50+ is nice)

- Demooner

- and, oh yeah...put a nice grip on that revolver

- and chamfer the clinder chargeholes

MIne is a S&W 610 w/ 4" barrel. I use if for both IPSC and IDPA.

I use a blade-tech kydex holster so I can stay legal for IPSC and IDPA. I am considering a speed holster and it seems that CR is the going brand.

My belt is a genaric inner/outer velcro/leather belt

I have four standard moonclip holders on my belt and two of the new (to me) twin moon clip holders. These things are great and I am curious to see how they hold up over time. They can be found at TK custom

So I carry 48 rounds to the line with an initial load in my hand for a total of 54 rounds.

Gun mods

1. Chamfered and polished chargeholes

2. Smooth that trigger action up. (Jerry M's video says several thousand rounds will do it, but he shows you how to do it in a couple of hours with honing stones.)

3. Take a fine file and smooth the edges on the outside of the barrel where it extends into the frame in front of the cylinder (the forcing cone area). This is just a smoothing cut to keep the barrel from cutting your fingers when you open the cylinder to eject rounds.

4. Buy the Miculek spring kit, but IMHO keep the trigger return spring at original strength.

5. Get grips that are comfortable for YOUR hands. I am learning to manage the recoil from a 200 round hour or two at the range, but initially, the recoil can be intimidating with major power factor loads.

I like the Shooters Connection range bag.

Peltor tac 7 electronic ear muffs

just my humble collection of gear

Dennis