Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ TS magazine feed lip dimensions...

burningsquirrels

OK guys, I'm trying to button down my TS combo. Tonight I had some feed issues out of one mag, but alas: I forgot to number my mags. I was wondering if anyone has a new or like new TS mag, and what the feed lip gap is. I noticed some size difference mag-to-mag, including at what angle the bullet is presented to the feed ramp of the barrel.

Magazine 1

Nose .396

Rear .390

Magazine 2

Nose .388

Rear .384

Magazine 3

Nose .392

Rear .384

Magazine 4

Nose .391

Rear .389

I had one jam again tonight. I had already cleared it before I remembered to look at what it was. The round that was recovered had a flat gouge on the outer nose, like it either caught on the bottom of the feed ramp or nosed-up into the top of the chamber. I noticed that mag 2 points the bullets up while mag 4 points them more foward.

What do you guys think? What are your measurements?

Ammo is 180 grain zero flat point set at 1.172" OAL and 4.75 of TG. Mags are running Angus' big basepads.

• 1 month later...

Rear - 0.389"

Fore - 0.410"

Rear - 0.389"

Fore - 0.380"

Rear - 0.389"

Fore - 0.401"

Rear - 0.388"

Fore - 0.401"

While I haven't had problems yet, I am suspicious of mag #2. It gets used as a barney / last-resort mag for major matches, but I do rotate it through in local matches. I have though about prying the feedlips open a bit on the nose end, but as long as it still works I'm leaving it alone.

Keep in mind that CZs do NOT like to feed long .40 rounds. Normal OAL on a .40S&W is around 1.120"-1.135". The factory RNFP rounds with which my TS has performed flawlessly average right around 1.125" OAL.

I would first try a new spring or a spring out of another mag. Make sure it cants slighty right when looked at from the rear. The problem with short 40's is the brass doesn't last that many reloads. I blew the top off some and had several split at the base when running my TS. I won't say my STI shoots any better but with an OAL of 1.200 I have not had any issues with brass.

I was running them long I guess because I was under the thinking that having bullets closer to the rifling was for better accuracy and that longer rounds mean softer loads and being easier on brass..... But if it don't work then it don't work. I also started having some problems on the press where the bullets don't get seated evenly which doesn't help, I will be ordering a new seat die to help out with that.