Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M & P match barrels

rkgsmith

Correct me if I'm wrong on the numbers but if the SL has the same twist as stock which many seem to say has an issue with heavy bullets (or requires higher PF not to tumble) why would you get a SL unless you only shoot light to medium bullets? For myself I generally shoot 115 & 124 out of my pro but I'm considering a new, faster twist barrel and then maybe 147's. Based on that a KKM would seem to be the clear choice (yet to see what Bar Sto will offer).

I know nothing about Glocks but curious if they can't shoot lead because of button rifling like the KKM?

The stock is 1:16 twist? cut?

The SL is 1:16 twist broach cut

The KKM is 1:20 twist button rifled

Plenty of folks are using 147gr bullets in M&Ps with good success. Some folks are also reporting the opposite...that their gun won't shoot the light bullets well. I'd try some before you spend the $ on another barrel. R,

• 1 month later...

I hear that a company in 29 palms california may be making barrels for the M&P soon, like after the SHOT Show. Heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend.

Seiichi

I am waiting them to come out so i could get one fitted by a reputable smith :ph34r:

Edited by Shenaniguns

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm maybe I'm a little behind the band wagon here, I only compete in IDPA with a 1911.

However, I own an m&p .40 which I just performed a trigger job on. I'm also a firearms instructor for the state and love the hell out of shooting.

Yesterday I was on the range, as I have been for 12 hours a day all week, and fired 45 rounds 180 grn from 50 yards off hand.

Now, I've never cared to know how tight a group a pistol can shoot, because all of what I do is combat oriented, BUT on a TQ-19 all 45 rounds were solidly in the gray. I'm more than happy with that. I know you bullseye guys do much more in the reaalm of accuracy but I've always felt there is a bit of a trade off in reliability with an extremely tight chamber.

Again, I'm not a smith, and I could be wrong. I've been more than impressed with the M&P's performance, much more so than a G Lock.

Dutch1911

1/*

• 2 months later...
Whether it makes a difference in accuracy, it's not worth the cost anyway. This sport simply does not require anything more accurately than an out of box combat pistol.

You'd be better served spending your money on trigger work and gear.

Tim,

Back up half a step there. I won't argue that our sport isn't about pinpoint precision, but it does require a certain level of accuracy. Some folks have reported that their M&P is giving them 6" groups at 25yds with certain ammo. I happen to have found a combo like that with my Pro. So far I can't get it to shoot PD 147gr FMJ-TCs into better than about 4.5" at 25yds with any regularity, and many groups have been 6". That simply isn't accurate enough. Now, mine seems to like the MG an 147 CMJ pretty well and the Zero 147gr JHP (have Zero 147gr FMJ and 135gr FMJs on the way to test), so I can still shoot a 147 if I want to and not have to live with poor accuracy (2" or better has been no problem and best groups around 1.25").

What if someone really likes the feel of the 147s, but can't get their gun to group better than that 5-6" mark at 25yds (from a rest)? Maybe that gun will shoot 147s great with a replacement barrel? I can tell you that 6" at 25yds isn't going to cut it if you're serious. The 2008 Nationals had standards that started at 40yds, and I've shot 50yd standards at other matches. Imagine now with perfect technique you're looking at an 8-12" group.....so in reality you're talking lots of C's and D's and maybe even a Mike you really didn't earn, but the gun put it there.

I'd say that if you can get a gun to shoot 2.5" or so at 25yds it's probably good enough, and time and money would be better spent on the things you suggest...trigger, sights, more ammo etc. If it won't shoot that well, it's reasonable to consider the one-time cost of a barrel....it's not like most of us don't already burn through $150 pretty quickly on our gear. At least with that money you might really be buying better hits....or, at the very least, more of the ones you really earned. R,

My Pro shoots very similar to yours Bart. Very few loads work well all the way from 115 to 147 including everything in between. I did try a buddy's Storm Lake just to see if my issues were barrel related but it really made no difference. I would wager that 80% of loads I have tried with either barrel end up with 4.5 to 8" groups at 20 yards.

One load in 147 and a better one in 124 are what I shoot. Still no comparison to my STI but its not a $3K pistol either.

Edited by 470nitro