Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 powder measure question

sfort

Is it normal for a small amount of powder to drop after the case is out of the powder die? This is happening when the case is about .5 inch below the die. I bought my press used & the powder bar shows signs of wear. I cleaned the bearing surfaces with alcohol and lubes it with dry graphite. Is it something to do with my stroke or could the powder bar be worn out? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't know what you are loading but I have had that happen when I was running a pretty heavy charge in a small case. The funnel still had powder in it as it came up out of the case. The funnel could be dirty inside or could be holding a static charge maybe.

Kevin's right about the heavy charge in a small case, especially if it's a rifle case. If you're reloading for rifle, you need to hesitate just a bit at the top of the ram stroke to give the powder time to drop. If you get into a set rhythm loading pistol ammo, then change over to a bottle-neck rifle, it's hard to slow down, but it has to be done. You'll be dumping a lot more powder into those cases and it just takes time.

Alan~^~

ETA: I'll go along with the static charge too. If you've had the press for a while, the inside of the powder drop may be partially clogged with old powder residue. Try cleaning out the expander with soap & water, dry thoroughly, wipe it down with an old dryer sheet and try again.

Edited by Alan550

I'll try the cleaning and drier sheet first. Maybe the funnel built up static while being bagged/shipped. The funnel is new, replaced when I set up my 550B. I haven't loaded any bottleneck cases, only 9mm and .357 mag.

Edited by sfort

I just got a chance to check, and I was right. I had thought I used 2 different powder funnels for loading and I had. I don't think static is the problem. I used a seperate powder funnel for each caliber. Any ideas? Could it be something with my measure or charge bar?

I've never seen this with straight walled pistol cases. I've only used a 550 for about 9 months, so I don't have years of experience to go back on, I do reload about 300 rounds a week.

What powder's are you using?

• 3 weeks later...