Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing/altering a cantilever barrel for the sx2/slp

rino451

I finally found a rifled cantilever barrel for my slp and wondered whether anyone knew how the rail is attached to the barrel. My idea is to mill the rail off level with the top of the existing dovetail for the fold down rear sight and either dovetail (add a 2nd dovetail) it for use with one of the pistol mounting plates for mini red dots made by Trijicon, C-more, JPoint - or - if the remaining new base is wide and deep enough, drill and tap it and use through bolts and bolt the sight directly to the barrel. Sound feasible? My only other concern which might make it all moot is the issue of heat. Being directly over the chamber, do you think that you could generate enough heat to torch a Dr. Optic or similar?

Basically, I"m looking to replicate the melt-in install you see done one handgun slides using the existing cantilever material.

Thanks!

Randall

I've considered the same thing but have not attempted such yet. I believe the cantilever to be located with pins and brazed in place. I would guess a fair amount of heat from a hot torch may turn it loose.

Yea, that's the question, pinned or something else. I want to leave enough of it to act as a base for a jpoint or other mrd, while retaining the fold down rear sight.