Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mounting a scope on a RRA Dominator 2 Rail

TonyG35

After shooting my first 3-Gun match with stock irons I am thinking about putting a scope on my AR. It's a stock RRA AR with the Dominator 2 rail.

The Dominator 2 is basically another rail on top of the standard rail with the RRA rear sight mounted to it. It's designed for an EOTech setup which

would be nice but don't think adequate for 3-Gun.

Would it be advisable to mount a scope on this rail with some high rings and keep the iron sight setup or should I remove the rail and

cutoff or replace the front sight with a gas block? My preference is to keep the iron sights on the gun but just not sure if that will work.

I have almost no experience with scopes so any input would be appreciated.

Tony,

The lower you can get the scope to the bore the better (in general). I'm of the thinking that if I leave the irons on I am not trusting my scope to either hold zero or I will not shoot it very well. Most scopes out there are of good quality and even the military doesn't use the BUIS that much. Take care of your equipment!

LaRue mounts are some of the best out there as well as the PRI, Burris and the Leupold. All support our military and our sport!

Use the scope and don't look back. Now if you can still shoot/see with irons use them but make a decision and stick with one or the other. Another option is put a BUIS on the side like a YH or a JP side mount irons if you must.

Hope this helps,

RLTW,

Scott

Thanks for the useful info. It makes sense to keep the scope as close to the bore as possible but my main objective is to have three AR's in one so when I took the

scope off I could have the stock or EOTech setup. I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to add a flip-up front site that would work with the rear Dominator site then take the Dominator rail off when I want to use the scope.

I am still curious if anyone has experience using a low power scope mounted above the stock front sight?

The scope would be a 1-4x so I would assume you would still see the front sight in the scope which would probably be distracting.