Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Load data for Rainier 180g RNFP and VV-N320

TGibe

Hi There,

I could not find specific load data for this combo using search or on the VV site... However, one of the guys I shoot with says he uses 4.75g of N-320 with 180g RNFP with an OAL of 1.180.

This is for a STI based limited gun .40 that I have shot his ammo in successfully.

I have the VV-N320 powder and 180g Rainier RNFP, but looking at one of his rounds the RNFP has a larger surface area on the FP so it is probably not a rainier bullet.

Any concerns with going with this recipe?

.40 S&W

4.75g of N-320

180g Rainier RNFP

OAL of 1.180

Thanks!

Edited by TGibe

I loaded 4.7gr of N320 behind a 180gr Montana Gold JHP, OAL at 1.20 to shoot out of my buddies 6" Briley limited gun and it only made 158 pf.

I'd work it up slowly but would suggest at least 4.9gr pf N320.

My usual load is 5.1 to 5.2 of N320 behind the 180gr MG JHP.

gkevin, lucas, and Albert,

This is good info - thanks so much for sharing.

Looks like I will work my way up on the charge and also increase the OAL a little.

I will also get a chrono on the load just to be sure.

Cheers,

Allen

well allen,

the correct oal for your gun, you can find it by dummies rounds ... when you range the correct oal, the gun feeding show none esitation also with the slide gently moved by hand ... then you can adjust the load on your bullet

:cheers:

well allen,

the correct oal for your gun, you can find it by dummies rounds ... when you range the correct oal, the gun feeding show none esitation also with the slide gently moved by hand ... then you can adjust the load on your bullet

Thanks Lucas. I will make up some dummy rounds at various oal's to see what the gun can handle...