Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

x-treme 124 plated in XD 9

5early

Picked up some x-treme bullets 124 gr 9mm plated flat point bullets for my XD tactical 9. This is my first experience reloading so I'm trying to take it slow, and already running into problems.

I started out sizing and seating to 1.140 but the shoulder of the bullet hit the rifling. No clunk of the rim and the case could not be turned. I stepped it down a little at a time until the cartridge would chamber and fall out of the barrel. I ended up at 1.069 to clear the rifling :surprise: and 1.065 to have a little wiggle room.

I checked them in the chamber of a glock 19 and had similar results but a 1.10 coal worked fine.

The shoulder of the bullet is .3565 pretty consistently.

Now I haven't a clue where to start with the loads. I'm using WST and am thinking around 3.0 gr to start and see if there are pressure signs.

Any guesses or advice at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

Edited by 5early

I checked my notes and found 4.5gr of WSF with an OAL of 1.130 pushing an Xtreme 124gr plated round nose was a very accurate load in MY XD9 Tactical.

WSF is super clean and not too smoky.

Using mixed headstamp brass I got an average of 1053fps, an extreme spread of 41fps, and a standard deviation of 13fps.

Do you have a chrono yet? Start small and work up to the load you like.

Hope this helps you out.

Take care,

Dave

I checked my notes and found 4.5gr of WSF with an OAL of 1.130 pushing an Xtreme 124gr plated round nose was a very accurate load in MY XD9 Tactical.

WSF is super clean and not too smoky.

Using mixed headstamp brass I got an average of 1053fps, an extreme spread of 41fps, and a standard deviation of 13fps.

Do you have a chrono yet? Start small and work up to the load you like.

Hope this helps you out.

Take care,

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the info, I'm hoping the rounds work out. I've seen some others talking about using .357" in 9mm and having excellent results. The part that scares me is the pressure. I do feel a little better right now. I pulled a winchester hollow point from factory ammo and measured everything:

Factory 115 gr HP: COAL 1.084 Bullet OAL .540 Difference: .544

My loaded 124 gr FP: COAL 1.060 Bullet OAL .515 Difference: .545

So, the case volume should be very similar and hopefully will cause no pressure problems. That's my theory anyway.

Made up two with 3.1 gr WST COAL 1.063 and 1.062. Two in the magazine of a glock 19.

First round ejected forward and the second round didn't feed. Second round also ejected forward and didn't lock the slide.

Made up two more 3.5 gr WST COAL 1.065.

Rounds ejected about four feet to my right and fed the second round. Second round also locked slide back.

No pressure signs and second cases were cleaner than the first. Now to see if they will feed in the XD and find someone with a chrono.

Keith

3.5 WST @ 1.065 cycled the XD 9 tac only freestyle. SH or WH led to feed problems. All shots went 2" higher than poa @ 15 yrds off hand. Glock 19's lighter slide cycled w/o problem. Shot next to WWB, FED Champion, and Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ- This load was way lighter. It was also a little dirty. However, it was my first batch of 50 reloads and all fired and I still have all my fingers. It's a win in my book. Thanks to all the posters here who have put their info up for all to see :cheers: .

Next up - 3.8 gr WST @ 1.060 in the XD.

Question - is it common for a light load to print higher than poa while standard velocity loads print dead on?

Keith