Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with new (35 year old) model 19

jsneff

I picked up a really nice old model 19-3 at the last gun show. Tight gun, with very little muzzle or cylinder wear. Besides a Wiegand 640 that I hardly ever shoot, I haven't shot wheel guns for over 20 years. While shooting some factory 110 grain .357's, the cases were sticking in 5 out of 6 chambers. The primers didn't look like they were showing bad pressure signs but there seemed to be a slight lower case bulge.

-Is this common or could the chambers be loose$

-Could it just be the 110's? They were all I had at the time.

-Will other bullet weights behave differently?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I do intend to dust off the .357 dies and try other bullet weights and .38 loads shot great.

Probably the previous owner had shot some .38s and not cleaned the chambers very well. Get a stainless .357 chamber (not bore) brush

and make sure the chambers are clean down to the steel all the way through. The .357s will probably not hang up any more. Smith &

Wesson makes a fairly decent 640 also.

Probably the previous owner had shot some .38s and not cleaned the chambers very well. Get a stainless .357 chamber (not bore) brush

and make sure the chambers are clean down to the steel all the way through. The .357s will probably not hang up any more. Smith &

Wesson makes a fairly decent 640 also.

Thanks Toolguy, I hope that is all it is. I'll give it a good scrub.

Let us know how this works out. If that isn't the problem, we'll try something else. I put the cleaning brush on a straight cleaning rod and

spin it with the cordless drill. It makes short work of the job. Don't use a stainless brush in the barrel though. I shot a M19 for everything

when that's all I had. It served me well for a long time. Hope you have a Happy New Year.