Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lake City 30-06 Match M-72

G-ManBart

I agree with your points. I also try to err on the safe side because my Garand is as old as my dad, and it's a part of my collection that I want to pass onto my own children.

Can't blame anybody for being safe. I know I certainly don't want to hurt mine either. With the Hornady stuff I simply can't imagine they'd market it as M-1 ammo if they hadn't done their homework. As you mentioned, this isn't new info. With the other brands, an e-mail to them would be a good idea to see if they'll either tell you what the powder is, or if they specifically recommend it for use in an M-1....I'd suspect Federal (the other brand mentioned) would be aware of the issues involved with M-1s and their operating limitations. I'd actually be more worried about the foreign M2 that's showing up here. I know the Greek stuff has a good reputation, but there are lots of others that it's hard to even tell who's making it.

What really blows me away is when you take M2 and pull bullets on the same lot of ammo and find two totally different powders in it! :surprise:

G Man

Hatcher's notebook has a lot of data on government match ammo including powders used by year and performance on target. The best is good for sure but none are wonder rounds compared to cartridges loaded by experienced competitors today. Lots and years get talked about and gain a reputation among competitors. As long as he ammo is up to standard and equipment works like it should It's the shooter that wins not the ammo.

Dollar a shot I would never have learned to shoot a high power rifle.

Boats