Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Mag Length And Base Pad Combo?

Nick Weidhaas

I've got a SV Infinity .40cal limited gun coming and want to shoot it in the IDPA ESP division (yes it has a short dustcover and will have a bushing barrel) and USPSA. What is the proper set up or combination of magazine length and base pad if I use a magwell and what is the proper combination if I don't use a magwell for the gun to fit in the box.

I also want to shoot the gun in USPSA and I know the 140mm mags are the ones to use. I'd like to be able to use the same 140 mags for IDPA if I can just change base pads and or magwells. Don't know if I can do it.

Thanks,

Nick-

Nick,

The 126mm SV mags are the one's to get for IDPA. As far as basepads, it depends on the magwell you get. A good combo is the SV magwell and the aluminium wedge shaped base pads that SV used to make. You may have to hunt around to find them, but the wedge shape makes a Govt length gun fit in the IDPA box. Another combo that works is the plastic STI pads w/ the plastic locking baseplate. Some have to be beveled to seat w/ most magwells. You'll have a problem getting positive seating w/ the 126mm magtubes and any deep/wide magwell. For IDPA it's better to have a shallower magwell (like the SV) and a properly shaped pad. Avoid basepads that are square in front. STI makes these and they will not allow a Govt length gun to fit in the box. If you don't use a magwell, any of the non-extended basepads will work.

I have a commander length STI ESP gun so I don't have to worry about fat basepads or deep magwells being too big for the IDPA box. You can't use 140mm mags in IDPA, they won't fit in the box and they extend past the magwell. Some basepads will add capacity to 128mm tubes to make them hold as many as the 140mm so that's another option. You could use 126's and then swap basepads for IDPA and USPSA.

I use the SVI 120mm duty lenght mags with the aluminum wedge shaped basepads and a stainless SV magwell. The 126mm are a little too long I think. I will have to measure them. I have 126mm for my .40 limited SV and they stick out a little too far to fit the box. My Burkett Cross Comp with the duty lenth mags BARELY fit in the box. Bill Wilson measured my gun a second time after I had already been given the box test on the first day of the Nationals. Hope this helps.

Dave

• 1 month later...

dpeters8445-

I tried using an SV mag well with 120mm mags with carry base pads and although it worked, I had to push the mag up into the mag well to get the mag seated. I was afraid I'd not seat a mag during a match and would be looking at it on the ground. I tried the wedge shape base pad as well and didn't care for it either.

I settled on no mag well with 120mm mags and carry base pads and it works fine. The SV grip mag well is still pretty big loading the tapered SV mag.

For USPSA I put on a Dawson ICE mag well and go to 140mm mags. I also add a Cominolli frame saver tungsten guide rod and change to a 12.5lb recoil spring for 165pf loads.

Pretty simple to change the gun back and forth for IDPA and USPSA.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Nick,

Sorry to here you coundn't use the 120's with the mag well. I don't like the idea of shoving a mag in a plastic frame without a mag well.

Here is what Matt Burkett had to say on anyother forum. I guess when I get my gun I'm going to try this set up. Have you tried the 126 mags? if so, Did they fit in the IDPA box?

dpeters8445 Says:

Matt,

I am interested in your mag set-up for your Cross-competitor when you shoot IDPA. Particularly tube length, basepad, and mag well.

I just changed my order today with Brazo's from a Limited gun to a cross-competitor style gun and I need to find out what is the best mag set-up for IDPA and still stay Legal.

Matt Burkett Says:

The mags I use are 126 mm with a standard length spring, standard follower and the aluminum international wedge base pad from SVI. All factory parts. I mod the followers to go as high as possible in the tube. I use standard length non-cut springs to make sure that they lock back with as much pressure as possible.