Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom gun registration

caz41

Depends on whether you purchase the parts separately or the gun as a finished item. The frame has the serial number and that's the part that gets run through NICS. If you get the frame as part of the components, that has to come through an FFL, and the NICS check is done when you pick it up. If the gun builder gets the frame and completes the gun before you ever take possession of it, then the NICS check is done when you take possession of the finished product.

Hope that doesn't sound too confusing! :roflol:

Alan~^~

Case in point... I'm building an AR-15. I bought a stripped lower receiver from a local dealer along with a few misc pieces. The lower has a serial number and they did a check for that. The rest of the stuff I'm getting directly via mail order and non of that has to go through an FFL.

Where do you live?

You don't have to register guns in most states. Just fill out the 4473 form and pass the NICS check when you pick it up from your FFL. If it's an instate friend to friend transaction you don't even have to do that*.

* in Texas, I don't know about whatever state you live in.

wow....I gotta move there hehehe here in cali, and with regard to my particular county, you have to fill out paperwork and give a right thumb print to by .22 ammo.....

as for toys....standard 10 day wait for backround check

ouch, what county are you in?