Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjustable rear sight?

Rocket35

I will be getting an M&P Pro very soon and considering whether I will need an adjustable rear sight or not. This gun will be used primarily for competition, using 147gr lead/moly bullets.

Your advice and thoughts are greatly appreciated as I have very limited experience with M&Ps.

Thanks.

I've had both M&P Pros and 9L's. I've ended up having Dan Burwell install Dawson adjustable rear sights on all of them. But my shooting background was in bullseye and I cannot stand to have POA/POI issues. I found them necessary. YMMV

Edited to add: 2 of my local shooting friends shoot M&P Pros and have both gone the Dawson adjustable rear sight as well.

Edited by baerburtchell

Jay,

if you are going to be playing with different loads get an adjustable. If you prefer to find a load and stick with it go with fixed. After you have found your load if you POI is off you can get Kenny at Speed Shooters Specialties to make you a custom height front to make any corrections you need. This way there is no need to worry about the pins or elevation screw breaking, no need to sight your gun in after traveling, or cleaning (remember the rear sight has to be removed to clean the plunger).

Thanks guys, I figured as much. I just needed some validation. ;)

On another note, will a .265 tall (.100) be the best front sight height in your opinion as well?

that would depend on what rear sight you are going with. If you are sticking with the factory the notch is 0.140, which I think a 0.100 would be too narrow in. I like a 0.115 front for 0.140 rears. If you are going to use the dawson rear, their notch is significantly narrower so the 0.100 may be ok but most seem to prefer the 0.090.

the height will be determined by the rear sight as well as your load.

On another note, will a .265 tall (.100) be the best front sight height in your opinion as well?

that would depend on what rear sight you are going with. If you are sticking with the factory the notch is 0.140, which I think a 0.100 would be too narrow in. I like a 0.115 front for 0.140 rears. If you are going to use the dawson rear, their notch is significantly narrower so the 0.100 may be ok but most seem to prefer the 0.090.

I will be going with a Dawson rear sight, and prefer the narrowest blade I can get. I don't want the rear sight cranked way in the air, so I would image the taller front sight will be best...

I will be going with a Dawson rear sight, and prefer the narrowest blade I can get. I don't want the rear sight cranked way in the air, so I would image the taller front sight will be best...

I have a .100" Dawson FO front sight on mine and it was fine with the factory rear and the Warren Tactical I have on it now.

If nobody around there has one, I can loan you my M&P sight pusher (MGW). Unfortunately, it won't do the front on the Pro/9L and I had to cut the last one out it was so tight! R,

I have a .100" Dawson FO front sight on mine and it was fine with the factory rear and the Warren Tactical I have on it now.

If nobody around there has one, I can loan you my M&P sight pusher (MGW). Unfortunately, it won't do the front on the Pro/9L and I had to cut the last one out it was so tight! R,

Thanks Chris, but I think I will just send the sights in with the gun when I have the trigger and stippling done. ;)