Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody here try moly coating their own cast bullets?

Chills1994

I think for what buckshot is meant to do or for what it was meant to do...I guess killing deer....you do NOT need a perfectly sperical piece of buckshot.

In fact, it could be postulated that having something out of round could better produce the effects you're after at say X distance.

Now, don't hold me to this, but a lot of buckshot is lead or nearly 100% dead soft lead. When a shotgun goes BANG!, all that inertia pushes the shot pellets all against either and to the back of the wad. So it is conceivable that shot produces flat spots when it is fired.

That could explain why some makers add a synthetic buffer material (little plastic beads) to the wad/shot cup.

And other manufactures will copper plate their shot and still add a buffering material.

Also, the wad keeps the individual pellets together for Y distance once it exits the muzzle.

That Federal Flite Control Wad is awesome.

Back, way back in the day, the old timers supposedly would melt lead in a can, pour it out into a flat pan. Once it cooled they would come back and score the lead with a razor blade in onde direction. Then score it again in the other direction. Then they would break it apart and make "cube shot" and load up their shells that way...and then go kill stuff to be able to put food on the table.

That's the story, anyway.

yeah also the "dime" load method....you can load damn near anything into a hull....but I don't load shotshells...they are still cheap as hell around here...and I only shoot my shotguns once or twice a month....I am pretty ignorant when it comes to shotgun loads....so you know better than me...

I have seen the guts of AA buck though....the balls are quite round and well formed....I think you are right about them being swaged....I just cant see casting them being economical...bird shot is another story....but I wouldn't know too much on the subject....

I just shoot em' :cheers:

would love to get a MEC9000 though and have a go at it....looks like fun....

I cast my buck pellets with a slingshot pellet mould that casts 11 at a time. It doesn't have a sprue cutoff so I have to snip them off with wire cutters. At first I thought that it would make a difference but I was able to come up with a "tactical buck" load that shot comparable to the old Federal Tactical buck before the flite control wad.

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6