Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding competiion pro seating die for wadcutters?

saster

• 3 weeks later...
How well does the Redding Competition Pro seating die .38spec/.357mag work for wadcutters?

Doesn't the seating die try to grab the bullet on the ogive?

The wadcutter doesn't have that!

/S

it doesn't "grab" it....but it does have a profile that is more friendly towards a round nose....it leaves a very small mark in the moly coating of my swc's....it is without a doubt the best seating die I have ever used though...I would not hesitate to buy one, and the competition sets are the only die set's I will buy in the future...they are the bees-kneez

marksmall.jpg

Thanks,

I now got the dies installed..

They work OK (but could do better) for wadcutters, even though there is nothing to "hold on" to.

Apparently Redding has some kind of insert for waddcutters .. I might get one of those if I find the length to vary to much.

/S

Hello: You may want to try the Dillon bullet seating die. It has 2 inserts, one for round nose and one for wad cutters. They also come apart for easy cleaning. They do not adjust as easily as the Redding or Hornady comp dies but once you have it set for the bullets you always use then you can start loading them up. Thanks, Eric

I think the Redding is a superior die....it has a unique mechanism for guiding the bullet into the case, before seating....it ensures that the alignment is darn near perfect....basically it's spring loaded and puts even pressure on the bullet, to ensure it's feeding in the case mouth totally straight....

saster....can you tell me where you found the wadcutter insert for the competition dies? I have looked all through reddings catalog and couldn't find one....I would really like to have one myself....also can you tell me what complaints you might have about the die....you said it's "OK"....I assume that means that you are not 100% happy with it?? I would really like to know what problems you might have had with it....thanks