Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions On The Winchester Super X 1

6guns

Hi, I'm brand new to the forum and hope to get opinions of this shotgun for sporting use. I've heard elsewhere that it is a fine gun and was built to last a lifetime. This model was made from 1974 - 1981. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I've shot them a couple of times and handled a few more.

IMO, they are very well made and finished, all "machined" parts...I am told and didn't sell that well due to the higher retail costs at the time. Compared to the dominant Remington 1100.

They are heavy and shoot well for me anyway.

I get the "impression" from auto shooters that they have reached "classic" status and own them because there aren't that many around and they are so well made.

Even if they don't shoot them much, they still want one. No plastic or stamped parts on that gun.

Anyway, it should do fine for whatever you want.

"Lasting a lifetime" is relative to how much shooting is done really.

Beretta autos are known to be very durable and reliable. Even the less durable 1100 would last a lifetime for most shooters. Unless you shoot 50,000 rounds a year. ;)

Good luck and have fun.

I have owned two SX1 Winchesters.

They are well made, finished and fitted. They are very heavy for an autoloader and did not balance well for me. The 26" bbl I had was better than the 28" one.

The only complaint I had other than heavy and poor balance was that the bolt handle would shoot loose and come out. Lost two in the field. Don't know if they fixed that or not.

I guess if there is a classic autoloader, it would be the 1100 and the SX1 for American made guns, but I would have to nominate the Beretta 303 and the new 391 as the autoloader of choice for me. Better balance, shoot great, super gun. Just my opinion.

6guns,

The Old Super X-1 is a well made, classic auto. It features machined steel parts, and has very low felt recoil, partly becasue of its design, and partly because of the wieght of its all steel reciever. Kewl old gun that has attained somewhat of a cult status amoung some sporting shooters, with good reason. It is durable, reliable, and much like a 1911, can be made[customized] to fit and handle as well as any autoloader out there.

Thats the good news ;)

But, if you plan on shooting on seriously in competition, plan on buying 1 or 2 backup-parts guns. Remember, they have not been made for over 20 years, and spares aren't growing on trees. Also, if you want to have the barrel modified for screw chokes, as most sporting shooters seem to, be very careful who does the work. SX barrels usually have the fixed choke installed somewhat on an offset angle to the bore to correct a little know POI[point of impact] problem the factory had. If your gunsmith simply installs the chokes "inline", without taking this into account, you can have serious POI issues. My advice is get a 30" fixed choke barrel and shoot it as it is, or get SEMINOLE GUNWORKS or BRILEY to open the choke to say something in the .015-.020"[light mod to mod] range, and shoot fixed choke.

There are a couple of notable "experts" on the Super X in the sporting world.

First is Steve Fischer, a great shoot from south Florida who is usually on TEAM USA FITASC for the veteran class. Steve is also a gunsmith specializing in SX-1's.

Next is Bob Bumgart for Wi, who is also a shooter and a gunsmith who specializes in SX's.

I don't have there contact info handy, but if you want to get intouch with either of them, let me know, and I'll dig up thier info.

Auto's have alot going for them in competition.....I shot a BERETTA 390 for 4 years on the tournament trail. I now shoot an O/U, but the same ol' 30" 390 is my loaner/hunting gun, and is still running fine. Its got around 170,000 rounds through it, and still going strong.

Wow, guys, thanks for the quick replies, all of them very thoughtful. Most of the knowledge I have of the SX1's came from another shotgun forum and from Bob Baumgard himself. I wasn't aware of the POI problem and I will definately keep that in mind. I made a deal on a field grade SX1 which is esentially NIB, 98% wood and metal. It has a 28" modified choke barrel. For my beginner uses, I think it'll work very well. I very much appreciate the thoughts and now I feel much more comfortable with my decision.