Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrell Drill

Rufus The Bum

I have been playing with a drill which has really helped my shooting on the move. I'm sure it's not a new idea, but it's definitely one of the best (In my opinion) I simply set up 4 barrells in about a 20ft square, set up 3 paper targets or 3 painted Pepper poppers about 10-15yrds downrange.

Start next to one barrell and work your way around the "square" with 2 shots on each concentrating on GOOD hits, not necesarily on speed. Focus on the way your feet should move, when to reload and sight picture. when you get tired of going one way, simply reverse the way you go around the barrell. I have been doing this exclusively for about a month and I feel SO much more confident and proficient at shooting while on the move.

You can also do angular training as well, shooting from one corner to another while moving towards and away from the targets. I guess the training scenarios are about endless.

It's such a simple drill to set up it's almost funny.

How are you putting 4 barrels in a square and still shooting down range? I guess I missed something? A 20 foot line would work at my shooting area as long as no one else came to shoot. Must be nice to have a dedicated shooting range. :D

How are you putting 4 barrels in a square and still shooting down range? I guess I missed something? A 20 foot line would work at my shooting area as long as no one else came to shoot. Must be nice to have a dedicated shooting range. :D

Simply space 4 barrells in a square shape and space them 20 ft apart. You can shoot forward, backward, left, right etc...